Stopping a Rooster From Crowing All Day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Salt and Light, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Any way to stop my 1 stupid rooster from crowing all stinkin' day? I don't want to shoot it just yet!

2. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    [​IMG]:lauPut a blindfold on it???

3. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    Put it in a short cage or pen, can't crow if he cannot extend his neck. If that don't work, 12 gage always works.

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    Roosters crow. That's part of what they're supposed to do. Keeping a bird in a cramped cage is not a very good idea, IMO. I wouldn't like to be crammed into a too-small space, how about you?

If you can't stand crowing, why do you have a rooster?

5. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Very true

6. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    When mine were younger they crowed all day, and as they got older it tapered off. Now they reserve the bulk of their crowing for an awfully early morning hour, which isn't necessarily an improvement for everyone concerned. It's just something you have to deal with if you want a rooster. I love the sound . . . keeps away all sorts of mythical beasts. Then again, I run the risk of hatching a basilisk by keeping a rooster [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    Quote:The rooster is one of the 25 egg layers I ordered from McMurrary. He's just a mistake! <smile>

I don't want to cage him, hurt him or damage him, I was just simply wondering if there is an easy and ethical way of quieting him. Honestly, my neighbor's rooster doesn't crow all day and I am wondering if there is something I might do to stop mine.

8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Hey Mine go inside the coop in the early afternoon to get out of the heat. Do yours have access to their coop during the daytime? I ordered a straight run and have many many roosters Its a chorus out there. I enjoy hearing it. Especially when they first try. We were outside yesterday watching as one of our young cockerels crowed for the first time He sounds like a frog croaking lol

9. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    my roosters all crow different times of the day, they answer each other and when they hear the neighbors rooster crow they answer them too, so there is alot of crowing going around her, but I have about 12 roo's too!!!!
    I like to listen to them and thank god they don't crow at night when we are trying to sleep!!!

10. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My one roo crows all day long lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by