1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Storage Area in Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rose66, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    I'm debating between building an 8x12 slant roof coop with no storage area or building a 12x12 coop and section off a 4 foot area for feed storage. If I don't section off a separate storage area, what do I do with my feed cans? Could I keep them in the coop with the chickens or is that just giving them another place to roost and poop on the cans? Thanks!

2. huntinwidow

huntinwidow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Warrior Alabama
    My Coop
    Yep, they will roost and thereby poop on any horizontal surface. The storage area is a good idea. Wish I had something like that. [​IMG]

3. GeneJordan

GeneJordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2011
    Arnaudville, La
    Do it now... lol

To me it is necessary

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Go with the larger coop & storage area. I did for my 2nd coop (12 x 16 split into 2 coops w/storage area) and love it!

5. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Yep, if I was going to build..one..yep, I would absolutely have a walk in separate area..yep..yep..sure would...

6. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Quote:Iam so envious

Whoopmwhoop
    Way to go

7. Rose66

Rose66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks so much for the advice. I'll plan the 12x12 then with a small storage area. This forum is awesome!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by