storage cube cages????

I see a lot of people using them, I didn't feel like they would be durable enough so I used metal dog cages, one intact cage and then several panels to make a run type area. Belldandy could be closed in to the smaller cage if need be or let out into the run. Since there are two doors I'm not struggling to get her.

I got them both free off of CL. Though I'm thinking about expanding since cages are only $45 and under.

For a door, I just used a panel, cable ties as a hinge and then a clip, like a dog clip, for the latch. I actually used two panels and had them open like shutters, so I had more room in the doorway, for cleaning.

Ah, I see them now. Hm, my personal opinion is that they are not high enough for most bunnies to stretch properly with a lid on, and are too low to keep a lid off. They are one panel high, which is generally 14 inches in the CC panels. What breed of rabbit do you have though?

I also think that as far as price goes, you actually get more bang for your buck by buying and assembling yourself, but that depends on what materials are available to you and your ability to build a base (their bases are corragated plastic cut to fit the frame. I would worry about those being chewed as most CC cages for rabbits extend the base at least an inch past the frame to prevent bunnies chewing on materials they sometimes like the taste of like thin plastics, some like wood, most like paper based things, etc). Also, with a lid on, taking out that tray to clean might be hard to impossible, especially if you want just a small door.

Is your rabbit litter box trained? If not, I might stay away from the CC cages, as rabbit urine will break down the bars where they sit on the ground. If so, these types of cages are easy to clean, but only if sized right for the animal with good access points for you.

For doors, just designate one or two (I recommend two for ease of getting in there to clean or fetch a rabbit) panels to act as a door either on the top or the side. Cable ties work great as a hinge, and you can buy small clips to keep them securely fastened.
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
I dont know her breed,shes a small black bunny.lol im trying to set up her habitat before i go out of town next month.its very frustrating.im still working on the lb training.its hard right now cause her cage is to small,in my opinion,so i let her out to run in my living room while i watch her.i read you should give her more room in increments so they dont regress,but i cant keep her in that cage all the time,soooo thats why i really need to get her habitat built.
sad.png

ive actually decided to use an exercise pen on either a tileboard or plywood,then go from there.i found a nice 4x4 pen on amazon...

ive actually decided to use an exercise pen on either a tileboard or plywood,then go from there.i found a nice 4x4 pen on amazon...

thumbsup.gif
That sounds like a great idea hun, and I think you'll get more use out of it for a rabbit. The cage kits look nice for a guinea pig, but don't seem to be quite at the right design for a rabbit. Just make sure you put a pet safe sealant on the plywood, or pheeweee, any pee that hits that will stink.​

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
That sounds like a great idea hun, and I think you'll get more use out of it for a rabbit. The cage kits look nice for a guinea pig, but don't seem to be quite at the right design for a rabbit. Just make sure you put a pet safe sealant on the plywood, or pheeweee, any pee that hits that will stink.

Thanks,i feel alot better now that ive got a plan.poor midnight is stuck in that small cage during the day.I feel bad for her.Ive noticed since ive started putting pine pellets in her lb theres been alot less accidents..
Where would i get a pet safe sealant,and if i go with the tileboard would i still need the sealant?

Last edited:
If the tileboard is a waterproof variety, you should be good to go (most are highly resistant at least, and do not warp or mold). Linoleum would also work, but the whole sheets, not the adhesive squares you stick together (urine likes to seep in between the cracks). For a sealant, I used Minwax Polycrylic, but only because my bunnies can't gnaw on any of the base surfaces. There are a lot of fiberglass resins which are safe once dried, and also a super safe (kind of overkill, but it is potable water safe) Sweetwater epoxy, along with a lot more brands of epoxy and coatings. If not familiar with sealing though, I'd stick with any sort of waterproof base, and just make sure it extends past the cage frame so bunnies can't nibble on the edges.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom