storage cube cages????

kyrose

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne,Ky.
Hello,just starting my plans for my new bunnies indoor habitat and like the storage cube cages.I was wondweing if the storage cubes are the ones like you get from target,walmart,etc?Theres no special ones for rabbits?
Thanks

Remember, bunnies love to chew. Those cubes are held together with plastic connectors.
And they aren't made for animals. I would be afraid of them chewing the coating off the side wall pieces, and risking some kind of poisoning. Hate to be the realist, but if you could afford better, I would look into something else. JMO

Quote:
i actually thought the same thing but i see so many people using them,if they are the ones they are using.im just not sure what to make it out out.im building something around 4x4x4.

The C&C cages started out being used for Guinea Pigs originally. They were such a hit that people started adapting them for other indoor pets like rabbits, rats, chinchillas, etc. They are a fabulous design for GPs but for the ones that chew like rabbits, you'd have to be extra careful with what kind you get. I'll see if I can find the bookmark I have on them.

ETA Here you go, there is a lot of good information on this site.

http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm

Last edited:
yup those are the ones, dont use the corner clips though, not stable enough and easily chewed, go with cable ties...easily replaced if they do get chewed on and ALOT sturdier
look for the ones that arnt brightly colored...ive never had a problem with chewing of the cube walls themselves unless the space is too small or the rabbit doenst have enough other things to chew on...but the conrer connectors seem to be too irrisitable.

good luck, they make wonderfull LARGE cages, but remember if your adding shelves and such youll need to put lino or something down on them, the holes are too big for bunny feet.

I built a C&C cage for guinea pigs. My last rabbit free ranged in the spare bedroom, with a cage just for eating and using the litterbox.

The advantage to the storage cube cages is that you can make the enclosures much larger than cages you can buy. Some people also use exercise pens sold for dogs to make enclosures for rabbits. With a litterbox trained rabbit, you don't need litter all over the floor of the enclosure, either.

I haven't had a problem with rabbits and guinea pigs chewing on their cages. It might be because I've always kept hay available at all times, along with unsprayed apple tree branches. I also have things for them to climb on and toys to chew and toss. They never fancied the metal over all the other choices.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=567796

Used
some from Bed Bath and Beyond, and some from Target. They were two different kinds. The ones at Target had sturdier cubes but too large of spacing on some, so those became ceilling tiles. The ones from BBandB were not as sturdy, but had better spacing, so were used for the sides, plus they had platforms to use as supports under the carpeting I put in (very short carpet so bunnies wouldn't be tempted to chew). Have not had problems with bunnies chewing on the thickly coated wires. I have larger rabbits though than they very small and active breeds. I'd definitely use cable ties. It makes it easier to take apart/add on/etc., looks nicer spacing wise usually, and the rabbits don't seem to even notice them.

Quote:
i looked at this site and found a large kit for less then what i can build for including the shipping.are these strong enough for rabbits? if so im definitely getting one...
thanks everyone for your input,its very much appreciated..

Can you link to the actual kit? Some of the examples I see have no roof (some rabbits will climb, most will jump over), so it'd depend which one you mean.
smile.png

Quote:
the cc kits.they say it will come with directions for making a cover to keep out your other animals.the only other problem i see is it doesnt have a door.my dh feel pretty certain he can put one in..

Back
Top Bottom