storage for bulk shavings?

grateful

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 24, 2009
Bozeman, MT
We are going to use pine shavings for the coop and are looking to buy in bulk and the local "bedding" depot. Any cool ideas on :

1) how much a 12 * 14 coop with 24 chickens will need in a 6 month time period?. we are starting with a good 3-4 inch base which is a little over 1.6 yards.

2) Any great designs on how to store all the extra shavings for future use? I have heard make a "box" out of straw bales and fill it up. Should I be too worried about mites in the straw? We live in Mt and the winters can get cold and I thought this idea might help insulate the windy side of the coop.

Travis
Bozeman, MT

Well I think a deep litter method is what we are looking for. I am just worried that it is a lot of shavings to keep on hand. And in Montana we don't have access to corn cob or any other mix that is absorbent . It seems that seams is not likes much as a filler for the pine shavings. So long answer in deep litter with a clean out once every 4 months.

I have a bunch of those plastic blue barrels.I cut the tops off leaving a few inches of lip all around the top with my jig saw.I make tops out of plywood that fit on the top just setting on the lip.This way I can stack them.They work great.You can get alot in them,I pack them right up with shavings and tamp in a bit at a time.
I use those barrels for shavings,leaves,feed,black ones for flower planters and soon a chick brooder.Try to see if you can get a few.
Will

Why not just use pellets? Theyre so much cleaner, they last longer, they compost easier, they burn... really i cant find anything bad about them. Theyre great for deep bedding too, once they all expand from being exposed to moisture you just throw down another layer.

I use cozy'n'fresh. i think its cheaper, or at least the same cost as shavings since you need so much less changing.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/webapp...40|14598|48668?listingPage=true&Special=false

you couldnt pay me to use shavings.

I am not even going to guess how much bedding you will go through because that is VERY much a personal management-style decision. Some people would use very little, others a huge amount. Sorry
tongue.png

As far as storage, do you mean bulk as in 'a lot of bags of' or do you mean bulk as in 'a dump load of'? If the latter, you can store them outdoors in a VERY HIGH WELL-DRAINED LOCATION, preferably by putting down a layer of pallets and then a brand-new heavy-duty tarp and then the shavings and then tarp over top of them with another tarp that is VERY WELL weighted down (including some ropes crisscrossing across it, attached to cement blocks or old tires). Some of the shavings will get a bit damp but this is not really a problem, just use them for mulch or compost pile if you are at all suspicious. (Don't tarp a pile of wet or very fresh-from-green-wood shavings in this way, btw, because of heat buildup).

If you want a better storage facility, build some sort of little lean-to off the sheltered (probably east) side of an existing building. And have the shavings dumped in there. You can tarp the open side(s) against blowing rain if necessary.

Shavings are really pretty easy to store as long as they are dry to begin with, and if they get a bit damp then as long as they still smell ok you can just spread them in the sun to dry *thoroughly* and then use as planned for animal bedding (preferably in a fairly dry setting).

Good luck,

Pat

I keep mine in a very large lidded galvenized garbage can in a covered location. Works fine.

I have noticed, though, that as much as I love the smell of pine shavings, straw lasts longer and gets dusty slower.

Thanks all.. Yeah I am talking Dump Truck load. Almost 40% - 50% cheaper. Thanks for the advice.

Do you all mix Straw in as a bit of a filler or keep to one kind of material?

Back
Top Bottom