Storage of Duck eggs

Dragonfly Ranch

Songster
10 Years
May 13, 2009
Happy Valley, CA
I don't have any experience with duck eggs. A local farmer friend gave me 4 three weeks ago. Been in the refrigerator and I have two questions:

1) After 3 weeks are they still OK to eat
2) I want to hard boil - how many minutes?

Thanks

Sandee

If you are ever wondering about the freshness of an egg, there is an easy test you can perform. You put the egg in a bowl of water. If it sinks to the bottom, it is really fresh. If it mostly floats but kind of stands on end, it is still ok, but should be used ASAP. If it floats, toss it.

chickensducks&agoose :

I think they're a little strange boiled.... I prefer mine baked into goodies, or mixed with chicken eggs and scrambled...

That bring another question to mind - if used in baked goodies do you consider them 2 large chicken eggs since there is more volume.​

Most of my duck eggs fit comfortably in JUMBO egg cartons ... one almost equals 2 regular chicken eggs. My husband doesn't care for them hardboiled either, unless I'm mixing them up potato salad or some such. We eat most of ours for breakfast ... have been on a duck egg breakfast burrito kick lately.

Yes, they should be okay. Do the water test mentioned if in doubt.

And I love my duck eggs just about anyway you can make them. But if I hardboil them - I then pickle them before eating.

As for baking - I use the number recommended. If it says two...I use two. I find it makes the baked items more moist.

HTH,

At high altitude, the extra volume of a duck egg is often the difference between total success and utter failure.

Well, thanks to every one's advice here I did the water test - egg sunk. So I FRIED it up for a late brunch and it was meaty/firm and wonderful. I'm kind of shy about trying new things and your encouragement helped me get on with it and glad I did.

Thanks everyone.

Sandee

Honestly it took me a while to eat the duck eggs in anything... i snuck them into my family's cornbread first, and then sat back and watched, just in case anyone started sprouting feathers or something... now I mix them into scrambled eggs, and prefer to use them in baked goods... Making a box/mix cake is SSSSOOOO much better with duck eggs... it makes it taste like homemade, and is so much bigger!

Back
Top Bottom