Storage shed as coop?

Welcome to BYC.

With the addition of LOTS AND LOTS OF VENTILATION it should make a splendid coop.

The recommendation of one square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation per adult, standard-sized bird is a minimum. The best test is that on a warm, sunny day your coop should be no hotter inside than it is outside. :)

I think it should be better at staying warm in Illinois winters.

I think a shed is a good idea, if it's insulated, unless you're somewhere moderate in the winter.

The focus should be on keeping chickens dry and well-ventilated rather than warm. It's just as critical to vent away the warm, moist air that chickens generate in the winter as it is in the summer. Chickens tolerate dry cold well, it's moisture freezing on their combs that causes frostbite.

Here's BYC's best cold-weather article: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cold-weather-poultry-housing-and-care.72010/

There's a link to my conversion in my profile, it might give you a few ideas.

I was going to recommend this article. :)

This is a properly ventilated coop:
Coop ventilation.png

All the light coming in up high is open year round ventilation including the ridge vent.
The windows surrounding the roost are open when the temps stay above 45 at night.

Yes. One of my inspirations.

This is a coop with just shy of 5 square feet of ventilation:
1623066788026.png

This coop has 16 square feet of permanent ventilation and another 10 square feet of supplemental ventilation (and still needed added shade to keep it from turning into a rotisserie instead of a brooder):

1623066937217.png

1623066970731.png

This is the shed I bought. Has 2 small vents on front and 1 on each side. I will not put the windows in the angled windows on the sides but will cover with hardware cloth for air circulation. This will be on the east and west facing sides, the wind will be blocked by a run of evergreens on the west side. The front will face north. It is 7x7 and will be attached to their 8x8 covered run. I will cover half of the run for more shade and protection from rain and snow. A 2x4 across width for perch and we are building raised nesting boxes. Does this look and sound ok?

Attachments

• 4758BA06-0811-4C1A-A8E4-693D762C41A0.jpeg
    4758BA06-0811-4C1A-A8E4-693D762C41A0.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 2
This is the shed I bought. Has 2 small vents on front and 1 on each side. I will not put the windows in the angled windows on the sides but will cover with hardware cloth for air circulation. This will be on the east and west facing sides, the wind will be blocked by a run of evergreens on the west side. The front will face north. It is 7x7 and will be attached to their 8x8 covered run. I will cover half of the run for more shade and protection from rain and snow. A 2x4 across width for perch and we are building raised nesting boxes. Does this look and sound ok?
Also adding auto door, Omelet, to front in one of the doors.

This is the shed I bought. Has 2 small vents on front and 1 on each side. I will not put the windows in the angled windows on the sides but will cover with hardware cloth for air circulation.
So you'd need to get a ladder and measuring tape to get the exact numbers, but my guess is just the existing vents aren't enough. How many birds do you plan on having in total?

I don't count any doors into ventilation as they will be closed at night.

So you'd need to get a ladder and measuring tape to get the exact numbers, but my guess is just the existing vents aren't enough. How many birds do you plan on having in total?

I don't count any doors into ventilation as they will be closed at night.
I will have 10 hens, the existing vents are not nearly enough that’s why I am leaving the side windows out and covering with hardware cloth, they are also up near the roofline so drafts shouldn’t be an issue. Also on opposing walls so air flow will be good. They look to be about 12” high at front peak and at least 36” long. I am not counting the factory vents as any real use. I may be under stating size as well.

They look to be about 12” high at front peak and at least 36” long. I am not counting the factory vents as any real use. I may be under stating size as well.
Yeah really hard to tell with a photo unfortunately - they could be bigger than I think, or smaller than you're hoping for. Probably need to play it by ear and be ready to make changes as needed once you actually have the unit.

I will have 10 hens, the existing vents are not nearly enough that’s why I am leaving the side windows out and covering with hardware cloth, they are also up near the roofline so drafts shouldn’t be an issue. Also on opposing walls so air flow will be good. They look to be about 12” high at front peak and at least 36” long. I am not counting the factory vents as any real use. I may be under stating size as well.

With 10 hens you'll need a minimum of 10 square feet of ventilation but that shed is more promising than most because the existing vents and the windows you'll be replacing are, at least, at the top where vents need to be.

Top-hinged covers would probably be best for keeping the weather out while letting the fresh air in. Alternately, you could make awnings for the openings.

It sounds like you've got a good handle on what you need to do. :)

8x8 covered run
Too small for this:
I will have 10 hens
and this:
rain and snow

I would double the size of the run and still cover half (with a solid roof with a minimum of a 12/4 pitch and a good size overhang to divert run off away from the run to keep it dry.
Your birds will need that space during winter and you don't want to have to shovel out the run when something like this happens:
1623583147416.png

Back
Top Bottom