Storage

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mrcush, Nov 18, 2012.

1. mrcush

mrcush Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2012
    Southeast Michigan
    Hello, I am a new backyard chicken owner and am wondering how other people store they're eggs. I've read a few articles that say you shouldn't wash your eggs. Does anyone have any good tips? Thanks

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]. How long do you plan on storing them for? I almost always wash my eggs.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG]

Unless the eggs are dirty you shouldn't wash them. The eggs are covered by a "bloom" that keeps bacteria out. If the eggs are dirty, wipe them with a damp cloth, no soap, and do not soak them. Place them in the fridge after you washed them.

4. mrcush

mrcush Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2012
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks! Well it's just two of us with four chickens. The chickens just started laying about a month ago and we have gotten more than we expected so far. I have three americana's and a rhode island red. According to what I've read about these breeds I should get about a dozen a week but I'm getting more than that now. So far I have been washing them but I read that washing them takes the natural coating off the egg. So I guess I'm just wondering what other BYC owners do. I don't plan on storing them for long and I keep a good rotation on them.

5. Txwingnut

Txwingnut Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2012
    a good way to make nice with a neighbor is to share extras now and then!

6. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by