Store bought coop... I know, bad idea.. too late

Pics
Don't worry about the coop, it's pretty decent, I bought a WAY too small one, and have enlarged it 3 times! I raised mine, changed how the panels fit together, added a different door......You can get a dog kennel and make your own configuration, the kits make a 4x8 (or 10) kennel with a roof and door, the panels are 2 ft wide. l Attach it the coop where the chickens can get out into it and put the door where you can access it, it's nice to have the extra space. It won't be secure against predators, but they will be in their roost at night.

That would be great!!! I think the white silkie is a boy because it stood up to the older one. I'm looking for pics of him. He's good with people, but I was afraid one of the other chicks. would get hurt.
A leading hen will stand up to a roo. As long a you give them a good dry and ventilated coop with enough space 4sq per bird. They will be happy. It might take some time to find the pecking order, but once all the roos have found a place, it will be easier for them. Get some good plans and give it a go, why not ?

So far, I’ve done everything wrong with my flock. I bought 7 chicks from a local Chicken Trade Days. I didn’t know HOW to pick a chick, so I let my daughter pick what she wanted. It’s been 6 weeks and I’ve learned a lot. I have one that’s clearly older than the others, one with a turned out foot, and probably 5 of the 7 are Roos (that I can’t have because where I live has an ordinance against crowing). I’ve had to separate the larger one because he’s a bully. I also bought a coop from Atwood’s. I know. Well, now I know. I’ll post a pick of the coop. I try to get picks of the flock, but most of them hate me. I’m trying, guys. I really am.
I live in East Texas. I live on about an acre. They can't free range because of roaming dogs.
I want happy healthy pet chickens who also provide eggs for food and fertilizer for my very small garden. I have no desire to hatch. I may try pullets next time, as the roos will have to go as soon as they start crowing.
View attachment 2648839View attachment 2648841View attachment 2648842View attachment 2648846View attachment 2648847View attachment 2648849View attachment 2648850View attachment 2648851
You have a nice variety pack of chicks and I think you coop is lovely. I am not experienced enough to tell the chick gender at this age. All I remember is that the ones turning into roosters would play fight each other, but maybe hens do that too.
Too bad that with an acre of property you can't have a rooster

Back
Top Bottom