Store bought coop... I know, bad idea.. too late

Pics

mgharris30

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
East Texas
So far, I’ve done everything wrong with my flock. I bought 7 chicks from a local Chicken Trade Days. I didn’t know HOW to pick a chick, so I let my daughter pick what she wanted. It’s been 6 weeks and I’ve learned a lot. I have one that’s clearly older than the others, one with a turned out foot, and probably 5 of the 7 are Roos (that I can’t have because where I live has an ordinance against crowing). I’ve had to separate the larger one because he’s a bully. I also bought a coop from Atwood’s. I know. Well, now I know. I’ll post a pick of the coop. I try to get picks of the flock, but most of them hate me. I’m trying, guys. I really am.
I live in East Texas. I live on about an acre. They can't free range because of roaming dogs.
I want happy healthy pet chickens who also provide eggs for food and fertilizer for my very small garden. I have no desire to hatch. I may try pullets next time, as the roos will have to go as soon as they start crowing.
A4C1E3A3-8490-4C07-B4C9-DD1BEC75320B.jpeg
D1F943FB-1482-4AFB-BDE1-A81D6731B167.jpeg
D82B9E81-182A-405F-9E5D-EE7FF44D7FAE.jpeg
15D5E4E2-E8A8-469D-B4D8-C6BB9FDC96E3.jpeg
692B4ACC-EF43-46EA-9DFF-CB8894326A38.jpeg
B0F080C8-244B-434E-8BB6-8DBCA6AF88D2.jpeg
C493D360-C178-4E8B-9654-12B20EA5795F.jpeg
A1D024FB-C894-44E8-9E70-771C5A724AED.jpeg

Last edited:
The silkies are hard to sex at that age but looks like pullets to me. You most likely gonna have to enlarge that coop or build a bigger one. Silikies require about half the room of a bigger chicken. Also sounds like you might got bantams and maybe a full sized bird.

Get some mealworms and make them eat them from your hand. It will train them to come to you and trust you.

Suggestions, which you should feel free to disregard.

Raise the roosting bars, so your birds don't sleep in the nesting boxes. As is, the bars are so low it will make cleaning difficult, too.

Remove an inside panel (if it exists) under the roof to add free, weather protected ventilation.

Expand the run off the side opposite the door. Simple framing, wall it appropriately for your predators (hardware cloth, etc). Whether or no to roof it is also predator dependent. Prices right now on building materials are outrageous, you **may** be better off attaching a chain link-style dog run/kennel, depending on dimensions, then securing hardware cloth to it to whatever height is necessary. Wood will require more framing, and has roughly tripled in price, so metal, in addition to being more durable, may actually be cheaper at the moment.

I leave sexing of your birds to others, more experienced than myself.

1620139642077.png

Suggestions, which you should feel free to disregard.

Raise the roosting bars, so your birds don't sleep in the nesting boxes. As is, the bars are so low it will make cleaning difficult, too.

Remove an inside panel (if it exists) under the roof to add free, weather protected ventilation.

Expand the run off the side opposite the door. Simple framing, wall it appropriately for your predators (hardware cloth, etc). Whether or no to roof it is also predator dependent. Prices right now on building materials are outrageous, you **may** be better off attaching a chain link-style dog run/kennel, depending on dimensions, then securing hardware cloth to it to whatever height is necessary. Wood will require more framing, and has roughly tripled in price, so metal, in addition to being more durable, may actually be cheaper at the moment.

I leave sexing of your birds to others, more experienced than myself.

View attachment 2648992
Good points. as a side mention, I'll say the the OP took a good picture. Made it look better than it is. Should maybe consider a job in advertising photography.

Texas weather is hard. East Texas tells me hot and humid with a few cold spells in winter. Born raised 60± years here in Texas from East Texas-now central (close to Bryan/College Station). Your doing great! Coops are tricky. Try to remember to reduce heat and don't worry about cold. We all buy/use down jackets, chickens have theirs naturally.
You have your wire run, wooden coop with roost bar and nest box and most importantly--chickens! Good start!
It's all about learning what works what doesn't and enjoying life.
If you can't have roo's, then figure out what to do with them. Rehome, cull (kill and eat), sell, give away. Before long you WILL know the boys. My coop is prefab-but it works. I did have a dog attack that damaged it, I repaired it, then reinforced entire outside with welded wire. It's not purty, but it works.
The one that I KNOW is a roo is going to a friend. Her hubby was looking to add another too to their flock, so that worked out great!! For the others, only time will tell. I’m having a blast watching them though. Chicks are funny!!

Both need to be bigger.

The general rule of thumb is 4 sq ft of coop and 10 sq ft of run for each standard bird. If I remember that right. Bantams and silkies can take a bit less. Truthfully I like to give them 8 sq ft in the coop and 20 sq ft in the run.

RIR (my fav breed) are known for being a bit more aggressive breed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom