Store Bought Ducks

fluterose

Chirping
May 5, 2021
I got Buff Orpington ducks from Tractor Supply but they grew up to be pretty much white not buff colored like they are supposed to be. I incubated some of their eggs and they grew up to be the buff color like pictures I've seen. I know bird producers pressure the hens to lay and give them chemicals in their food so does anyone know if ducks you buy from producers are different?

This is my Buff Orpington Duck that I purchased from TSC almost 2 years ago. I love her coloring and feel like she looks like most pet quality Buff Ducks that I've seen. I took this picture for other reasons but felt it was a good example to show her color since she's between my Cayuga Drake and Pekin Duck. My ducks ate Purina Flock Raiser as ducklings and have been on Southern States Floating Waterfowl Feed for the rest of their lives.
20210510_105303.jpg

This is my Buff Orpington Duck that I purchased from TSC almost 2 years ago. I love her coloring and feel like she looks like most pet quality Buff Ducks that I've seen. I took this picture for other reasons but felt it was a good example to show her color since she's between my Cayuga Drake and Pekin Duck. My ducks ate Purina Flock Raiser as ducklings and have been on Southern States Floating Waterfowl Feed for the rest of their lives.
View attachment 2665143
yes thats what my boughten ducks look like too. heres mine that i hatched myself, the coloring is way different.

Attachments

• 20210407_155813.jpg
    20210407_155813.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 5
yes thats what my boughten ducks look like too. heres mine that i hatched myself, the coloring is way different.
How old are the ducks that you hatched yourself? I'm guessing they're young and haven't went through their first adult molt. My sweet girl, Tom (yep we thought she was a boy), was darker before her first big adult molt. I believe it's normal for them to lighten up as they molt each year.

How old are the ducks that you hatched yourself? I'm guessing they're young and haven't went through their first adult molt. My sweet girl, Tom (yep we thought she was a boy), was darker before her first big adult molt. I believe it's normal for them to lighten up as they molt each year.
Ohh, maybe... I got my first ducks quite a while ago and they were my first ducks so I didn't really pay attention to coloring and stuff. I also have a duck named Georgia because we named her George because we thought she was a boy... hahaha. And thank you for responding!!!

Back
Top Bottom