Store bought pluckers

Clay34

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 18, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm looking into buying a plucker. Bluntly if you buy a new motor and the parts a store bought unit isn't that much more than just buying all of the parts for a WhizBang style plucker in my opinion. If you want to share some sources for materials that are reasonable that is fine too.

I see that the Featherman Pro is kind of the standard, but at $1060 before shipping, it's out of my price range. Then I see the EZ pluckers. Something along the lines of an EZ 131 for about $600 before shipping seems like a reasonable price. I see some cheaper machines out there in the $400 range, but I haven't read anything good about them from anyone that has been on the site for a while.

Am I missing something? Is there a machine that is sub $600, that has a 1 HP motor and a quality build that I am missing?

Anyone use anything like this straight off the boat from China? http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...1876185762.html?spm=a2700.7724857.35.1.ln1lQ8

That's probably a wholesale price but $120 to $150 US, I can't buy a new motor for that.

I have the tools and the aptitude to do a build, but the numbers just don't add up for me. I see WhizBang kits for almost $400 without a motor and barrel.

I also notice that many of the store bought units use dual belt drives and have a nice chute for feather discharge.

I actually rented a machine to use this year and was considering building one over the winter, but the more that I thought about it, I should just buy one.

Your thoughts are welcome. I see myself doing 50 to 100 birds per year.

I have the smallest EZ plucker. It plucks 2 chickens at a time. We process about 50 birds a year. Since I'm taking underweight rejects out of my brother's commercial farm, I get them at staggered sizes so I only need to process about a dozen a week until they're gone. My plucker works like a champ.

We bought the ezplucker 131 and it is worth every penny. The unit worked great and almost all the feathers were gone just A few had to be pulled. And we like that it is Stainless steel for cleaning. Well worth the money.

Yes and also this is 1hp motor and has wheels to we love the plucker we have done 25 birds. Already this year with it.

Anyone use anything like this straight off the boat from China?

Just remember if buy from China and it shows up damaged you are **** out of luck when dealing with them. I personally would not but a big ticket item from China of the boat. To much money at stack they deal only with cash.

We built our own using a 25 gallon drum we had laying around, a washing machine motor found at the dump, plucking fingers from amazon, pulleys, spindles and belt from tsc. Treated 2x4s. Cost around $100.00 worked great.

I do think that is the beauty of the WhizBang design: if you can scavange some parts and use some materials you already have, you can build a workable nice piece for a reasonable amount.

What this thread is about, is buying everything NEW for a WhizBang including a nice feather plate, Motor etc and then the cost is actually fairly close to just buying an EZ-131 as an example. When I crunched the numbers my supplies alone were over $500. The unit that I speced out would have no feather chute and it did not have a dual drive pulley system. I had to still take time to build it while I am crazy busy.

I did see a Star-Plucker sold by CCOnly that was uner $400, but it had a small motor: 1/2 HP and I thought the unit was just too small in power for the long term. I would like to see if anyone has actually used one.

Back
Top Bottom