Storing a dead chicken for necropsy?

alcstreetman

Chirping
Apr 11, 2019
Athens, GA
One of my 13 week old pullets just died. Rather suddenly, and I want to take her to the Georgia Poultry Lab for necropsy Monday morning when they open. How can I store her until then? I can't freeze her because it will dramatically limit the testing that can be done during the necropsy but I'm nervous about putting her in the fridge with our food... Is this safe for a day and two nights? Currently I have her in the garage in an insulated box with large frozen gel bags to keep her cool but two days is a long time. Any thoughts on keeping her in the fridge or what to do be appreciated! I was thinking of creating a thread asking for thoughts on what killed her. If I make one I'll post it in the comments. Thanks!

They are supposed to be double bagged in garbage bags as it is, so I would do that, and have another person open another bag and wrap up the body, and place in the refrigerator. You could also use a cooler filled with ice, and keep the water drained out from the bottom. Sorry for your loss, but glad that you are getting a necropsy.

Back
Top Bottom