Storing crushed eggshells

Justde

Chirping
Mar 9, 2023
I dried and crushed about 1/2 gallon of eggshells, but our girls won't be laying for another several weeks/month. Do they have a shelf life? If I freeze them will they sweat and be wet when we put them out?

Depends how they were dried as to their shelf life. If air dried they may not have as much as if oven dried where the membrane is probably all cooked off. If they do go wet when you defrost, you can then dry them again in the oven if you wish to.
Ultimately you will need more than just egg shells. Returning eggs shells will provide less than half their needs, maybe as lottle as a quarter dependingon the articles you read. The extra must come from food and or shell grit.

Thank you for answering. Oven dried. We do not plan to rely solely on eggshell, but don't want to waste them either. I think I'll freeze and redry if need be.

Yep, oven dry on very low heat or if you have a car that isn't going anywhere for a few days just set the trays up on the dashboard. Might give them a quick rinse before putting them on the trays so the car doesn't smell funny. Or a spare window you can set over a box like a cold frame. Doesn't take much. Crock pot for example. Dry em out and let the heat sterilize them and they are good for a long time.

Oven dried there's no reason to freeze, it'll just eat up space in your freezer. You can put them in a ziploc bag or recycle an empty plastic tub and toss them in your garage.

I actually store mine in the bag the oyster shells come in, I just dump them on top.

Back
Top Bottom