Storing feed in bottles?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dracneya, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Dracneya

Dracneya New Egg

Jan 25, 2017
    So I have a bunch of water bottles I am currently drying out, I had an idea of putting my chicken feed inside these water bottles so that I can carry 1 or 2 out each day instead of carrying the whole feed box with me. Has anyone done it this way? I'm only worried about if the food might grow something inside the bottles... Any opinions?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    It seems easier to just have a bucket or something to scoop some feed into to carry it out. Filling a bunch of water bottles sounds like a pain!

3. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

It does seem like a lot of extra effort....

Welcome to BYC!

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

4. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy Dracneya

I agree with SHK, filling up water bottles with feed sounds like a pain and will probably also take a while to then empty into the feed box.

I have a 5 litre sealed container that I use with a scoop. I just top this up from the 20kg feed bag.

5. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    You could get a small pail like this[​IMG] at TSC for about $3.00. I use it to collect eggs[​IMG] You could get a couple, fill with feed, bring to coop fill the feeder and collect the eggs and bring back to house. Works double duty. GC

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Can also get food grade buckets from the deli counter at grocery store. I have several 2 - 3 gal buckets that I use for FF.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by