Storing hatching eggs in the tropics?

EmiliaJosefina

Hatching
Aug 19, 2015
Paraguay
I want to hatch eggs from my silkies, but im not sure how best to store them to increase the probability of them hatching. Where I live, average temperatures range from about 70 at night to 80-100 during the day. My silkie has been practicing sitting on eggs, so I've been saving some hoping she'll go broody soon. Most people here store hatching eggs at room temperature (which is about the same as outside temperature), but the agricultural techs recommend keeping them in the door or crisper drawer of the refrigerator.

I know neither of these temperature extremes is ideal, but is there one that's better than the other? I only have one silkie, so the eggs could be up to two weeks old when I give them to her to hatch. Should I give her fewer eggs and/or mix breeds or just hope for the best with the older ones?

I've eaten some of the older eggs and the do look normal when I crack them, although one had a yolk that fell apart (which is common here during the hot season.)

The refrigerator is better. If they get above 84, they'll start to develop and then stop at night. If they stay in that zone of disproportional development, they'll eventually die.

OK, if I should keep my eggs for hatching in the fridge, should I put the ones I've already connected in now or leave them at room temperature? Also, how cold is too cold to keep in the fridge? I might look into getting a thermometer to check my fridge temperature to make sure it's at a good temp for both my food and my eggs. Is the crisper a good place to store the eggs? It's not humidity controlled or anything; it's just a regular door. I feel like the eggs are too delicate to keep in the door since it's sometimes slammed shut (not by me!)

Back
Top Bottom