Storms In Arkansas Killing Chicks

paramedic07

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Bergman, AR
These Storms That Have Been Hitting North Central Arkansas ( Harrison, Ar / Branson, Mo ) Area Since 4/22 And Wont End Till At Least 4/27 Have Killed At Least Five Of My Two Month Old Chicks Somehow. I Think It Was Two Of My Ameraucana Bantams And My Austrolorp Girls . Even My Sole Japanese Hen. I Suspect I'll Lose More Beofre The Storms Stop. Somehow I Feel Responsible For It, Yeah Their Birds And I See Them As Pets And It Happens But I Still Feel Repsponsible For Them Getting Killed.

I Am Teed Off To No End. They Have Their Mostly Dry Coop. I Did Let Them Have The Ability To Go Out Through A Cracked Open Door. Maybe I Should Have Locked Them In With Their Water And Food Trays Till This Incessant Rain Ended.

The Only Sollace I Have Is The Standard Size Two Dozen Ameraucana / Ee Eggs I Put In The Incubator Yesterday While Paying Thru The Nose For The Four Laveder Ameraucana Bantams From John Blehm I Received Yesterday From A Local Breeder. And The 3 Silver Laced Wynadottes Chicks In The House With The 7 Standard Ameraucana Chicks With Them And The Extra Ameraucana Bantam In The Bunch. Probly More On The Chicks Actually.

i dont know. the stress and im guessing some flooding must have taken out the six killed so far. 1 buff orp, 1 standard ameraucana, 3 bantam ameraucana, and 1 jap bantam hen is the updated body count.

I'm in NW Arkansas and I just lost my big, previously healthy Black Australorp. I too was thinking maybe I shouldn't have let her out with all this rain but they have been begging to get out.

We've alot of rain in the past month here in Ohio....But this typical spring weather for our area. I am sooo tired of it. I did put my month old chicks out into my A-frame coop, then decided it was to chilly in combination with the rain, so they went into the big coop storage room for about 10 days, now they're back in the A-frame since the temps have been in the upper 60s.......I don't lock them inside as long as temps are pretty good, but if there is a combination of cold and rain, then they go inside.....

I sure hope this rain clears up because I have so much yard work I want to do......Grass is green, I've got trees that I felled that need to be cut up, brush to burn......Oh what a list! Soooo frustrating when you really can't do much outside.

I was just wondering, Paramedic07, were they found outside or inside when you discovered them dead? That, to me would be the telltale sign of why they died......(As far as the storm killing them) I've heard that chicks won't hide their beaks and the water runs right into their nostrils and they die.....

Anyhow, good luck to you and things will get better, folks!

Take care,
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom