straight run, really? rant...

I guess we got lucky then! DH picke dout our first 9 chicks...all straight run and we got 6 girls and three boys (may they rest in freeze). I picked out our next 11, again, all straight run from a super nice guy for a buck each (he just said take what you want, and I picked the ones I thought were cutest..combs and legs all looked the same to me) and we got what looks to be 7 girls and 4 boys.

I do think that if we ever decide to raise anything other than our mixed breeds, I would just pay the extra to have them sexed. It really isn't that much more.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

Earlier this summer, Southern States was giving away straight run chicks with the purchase of a bag of chick feed. You could get 10, but I just took the minimum of 6. The cashier was surprised when I just grabbed the first 6 I could get my hands on. "Most people flip them over and do all this mumbo jumbo!" she exclaimed. I ended up with 4 males and 2 females. By contrast, I'd ordered straight run Ameraucana chicks from a well-known breeder. I was really excited to be able to order silver ameraucanas, so I asked for 5 of them out of my 25 chick order in hopes of getting at least one female. I ended up with all pullets! Now I have to track down a silver male from somewhere. You might feel like you're getting the raw end of the deal, but other posters have noted their own ratios where males were predominantly what hatched. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw!

Back
Top Bottom