1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Straight Run Unavoidable?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by devora, Oct 8, 2007.

1. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm looking forward to getting some new birds next year and am noticing that for some of what I'm interesting in it's only "straight run." That's where ya don't know if it's boys or girls, right?

I can't have roos. I could cull if it happened, but is there a way to avoid it (I mean, a way to get all girls)?

2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    If you order standard size chicks they do a good job of sexing them for you. With bantams, not so good. I think if you want to be sure, your best bet is to order standards. I ordered 6 bantams and paid extra to be sure i would get all girls.....2 were boys. I've heard that to be true for many others here.

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    What kind are you looking to buy?

I gave my extra Roo's away!

I put flyers in feed stores
    grocery store
    I put them on free cycle for my area

once you put FREE on something it normally goes!

4. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oh, some frizzles and polish and anything else I can find that looks like it landed from outer space. Feathered legs, something w/ feathered legs.

The 'free' advice is great. We have two huge ag stores in town so I can try that if need be. Of course, all this is not happening until next spring. But a girl can dream...

5. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    doesn't mypetchicken sex bantams?

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Ninny, yes they do!

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    My Pet Chicken will sex bantams. With the end of hatching season coming to a close on the 30th of October, sexed bantams are not an option at this point. Come the spring 2008 season, the bantams will be sexed once again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by