Straight run

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Azriel, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Azriel

Azriel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    When ordering straight run chicks, what % of roos to hens can you expect. I have always thought that you get mostly roos, but would like to know what others have gotten.
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I usually get about 50 % cockrels & 50% pullets
  3. Falcon61

Falcon61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    If you order 20 hens your sure to get a roo. If your lucky. 5 if your not lucky. If you don't get one look on craigs list, someone's always trying to get rid of a rooster they can't butcher.
  4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    50/50 on straight run 75/25 on all save some money and get straight run.I have often wondered if I ordered just roos if they would send me a pullet [​IMG] I have also found it depends on the breeds when ordering all pullets some they have never gotten close and others they are always right-other than sex links [​IMG]
    We do butcher our boys but just give away the extras.It's not worth raising dual birds for meat imo
  5. kybeagle

kybeagle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2010
    I ordered 10 EE, 5 BR, and 5 NN's (all pullets) from Cackle and was very happy with the chicks I got. They sent me one extra and that was the one that ended up being the roo. All 20 pullets are in the coop now and doing well (4 months old) and the NN roo was rehomed!
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    From Cackle, all in one order

Ordered 10 Australorp pullets - Got 10 Australorp pullets

Ordered 5 Delaware pullets - Got 4 Delaware pullets and one Delaware rooster.

Ordered 6 Speckled Sussex Straight Run - Got 4 roosters and 2 pullets

Ordered 6 Buff Orpington Straight Run - Got 7 pullets. Even the packing peanut was a pullet.
  7. echip

echip Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    Ordered 15 straight run bantam EEs from Cackle. They added two packing peanuts. They are 7 weeks old today and it looks like 10 roosters and 7 pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by