Straining to go to the bathroom!

CCtheflockboss

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
Last few days I’ve noticed one of our 2 month old ISA Browns has been kind of straining to go to bathroom. She will squat like she’s going to go a few times in a row, or consistently for a minute or two, and sometimes little pieces come out, and sometimes it’s nothing. But other times it seems normal... Nothing looks stuck on outside to me (e.g. no poopy butt or clogged vent) -- any ideas what this could be? She's the only one out of the flock of 6 that seem to be doing this

Where is this chick housed? Indoors? Run and coop? Do you still provide heat? What are you feeding? Are you supplying grit? Is the crop any larger and harder than the others?

It sounds like incipient constipation. Give a teaspoon of coconut oil slightly chilled and broken into small pieces.

Where is this chick housed? Indoors? Run and coop? Do you still provide heat? What are you feeding? Are you supplying grit? Is the crop any larger and harder than the others?

It sounds like incipient constipation. Give a teaspoon of coconut oil slightly chilled and broken into small pieces.
Chick is in coop outside with access to run during day. No heat provided (we are in MA). We are still feeding medicated starter feed and yes, lots of grit always available sprinkled in coop as well as run. Crop doesn’t seem to be different than others. Some have been having BLACK poops lately too, not sure what that could be either...

I suggest giving the oil as a precaution. It can't hurt.

Black poop is usually from eating dark fruit. It can also occur when there's charcoal mixed in with the medium in their dirt bath.

Rarely, it's an indication of an organic problem, but their behavior would be "off" if that were the issue.

I suggest giving the oil as a precaution. It can't hurt.

Black poop is usually from eating dark fruit. It can also occur when there's charcoal mixed in with the medium in their dirt bath.

Rarely, it's an indication of an organic problem, but their behavior would be "off" if that were the issue.
They don't eat fruit, but our dirt is very weird here, so could be that. they eat a TON of greenery around the property though of course. Otherwise, they are their normal selves. I will give them a little coconut oil today, thank you for this information!

Back
Top Bottom