Strange and changing/shrinking pupils

bpirockin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 25, 2011
I posted on here a while back that one of my hens had a pupil that went sort of starry and shrunken, but who seemed fine otherwise. She has continued to be in good health, and happily laying, but now her other pupil has gone starry and 'spread', and appears to be getting smaller. She shows no signs of Marek's according to the symptoms I've read about.

As I cannot both hold and photograph the hen, I asked a friend to do so this morning, but unfortunately the original problem eye picture didn't come out well - possibly because the pupil is now so small.
However, I am hoping to attach a picture of the latest one and see if anyone has any ideas as to what it could be.

I guess it doesn't matter if she can see okay, but I'm concerned there is something going on, as opposed to thisbeing as a result of pecking, and I don't get on top of it.
I don't want to take her to the vets if avoidable, at least at the moment, as having had to take one egg-bound hen to the vet and her not coming back, the others are a bit unsettled anyway.

Nope, sorry, can't see how to put a pic in here !!??

Any thoughts please ??

Last edited:
I don't do pics but I know there are instructions on the FAQ page and in the BYC Website Feedback forum on ways to do it.

I have read that Marek's can cause pupil changes.

Thanks for that - having read the faq's, it seems that perhaps I'm too much of a newbie on here. Would anyone be willing to post the picture for me if I can email it to them please?

Back
Top Bottom