strange behavior 5 week old

achake01

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 15, 2010
Hi, I have a group of 10 chicks, all about 5 weeks old. They're out in the coop/run and I gave them people food for the first time yesterday. Chopped celery and chopped strawberries. They've been getting grit as well.
All of them seem fine, active and usual selves, except for one. This morning she is laying down in a corner, lethargic--breathing, but not wanting to move. I suspect it's because of the new food, but I don't know for sure.
I tried placing some water next to her, but she's not taking it.
I've also separate the rest of the gang from her by putting them back in the coop. (She's out in the run).
Any suggestions?
Anne Marie.

Put her in a cat box, or even cardboard box, and bring her in the house to monitor her.

Good idea to seperate her, not only for the risk of infections but the risk to her when the others notice she is poorly.

I wouldn't think it's the food, after all Strawberries and Celery are not exactly 'people food' in the same way that a microwave chinese meal is 'people food'. If your chickens find veg lying about they'll eat it (if they like it) and it's natural.

Keep an eye on her poop, it should be dark brown/black surrounded by white. If not post back and tell us what color it is.

If you think she's not drinking then a drop of water on the end of your finger touched to the end of their beak almost forces them to drink some of it. If you're sure she's not drinking you may need to get a dropper.

Make sure she is eating, try her with mushed up (cold) boiled egg.

Check for runny nose or swollen squidgy crop or dirty butt and check under her wings incase there's been some trauma that's not obvious. Check the top of her head too, are all your chicks hens or could some be cockerels - cockerels do like to dish out pecks to the head (so do hens to be fair).

Hi, thank you for the response.
I've just brought her in, and checked her. There's nothing obviously wrong, and she's breathing fine. But clearly ill and not moving.
I'll report back in a while.
Thanks again,
Anne Marie.

well, she died. it didnt take long. sometimes these things are just a mystery.

Back
Top Bottom