Strange behavior Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JDH, Sep 23, 2007.

1. JDH

JDH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2007
    I just went out to put my chickens back in their coop so the dog can go out. I noticed my 3 month old mille fleur roo would not come. I went to fetch him. he flopped on the ground with wings spread. I picked him up and cannot find anything wrong but the behavior is not normal. I brougth him back to the coop and put him inside away from the others. I noticed he stood up but did not put any weight on one of his legs. That is also the side where he will extend his wing. When I went to get him, he laid down on his breast bone. I cannot find anything wrong with him yet I suspect he is injured. I suspect a leg b/c he does not want to walk. What do I do?

update: He's standing just fine but will not walk. Just flops on the ground with wings spread. Could he of eaten something? I did find his gullet to feel like it was full of air.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Wow JDH, I wish I knew what to tell ya. I hope he makes it through. Did you check for wounds or breaks? Could he have been bitten by a snake? Is he eating or drinking?

3. JDH

JDH Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2007
    No wounds are visible. I think he might have sour crop. It felt like it was full of air. He's not interested in eating or drinking so I got some gatorade down him. Am getting yogurt today.

4. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Sour crop will not make the bird behave the way you're describing.

What do his droppings look like? Is he thin?

My first thought is Mareks but it could be poisoning from a plant or food that went bad laying on the ground/floor. Are the waterers green?

What about the over all picture? Eyes, beak. Any swelling or warmth in the leg it doesn't appear to be using. Any unusual head movement?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by