Strange behavior... Maybe not so strange?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    This is my first flock. The ages are 15.5-22.5 weeks old. They are getting ready to lay. I have 3 squatters and 2 singing the egg song.

My RIR was laying down in the nest box with her back end against the nest box wall.[​IMG] what is strange is my SS was singing the egg song over and over to the RIR. My SS has some strong lungs and is very LOUD!

Why was my SS singing the egg song to the RIR? She hasn't laid an egg yet. After about 20-30 minutes my RIR hops out of the nest and the SS is quiet and no egg.

What's funny is all the other chicks were gathered around to see what was going on. The 22 week old EE tried to sing the egg song, but didn't quite get it. My RIR was also singing the egg song near the end, but she is not nearly as loud as my SS.

Do y'all think I'll get my long awaited egg today??? I sure hope so. It was pretty neat to be in the coop to witness it all. My babies are growing up fast.

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    You got to be close!!! When my girls first started laying it was a big event in the coop. Privacy was non-exsisting. One would be in the box and three watching. Everybody was talking. Kinda like a birth of a human child,had I known I would have sold tickets.......insert event here______!

3. DCL

DCL New Egg

May 7, 2011
    I have an EE that started singing right about the same time my ISA started squatting, and I just chalked it up to her general craziness (I have two and they are both crazy- funniest little birds ever), but it appears there is more too it. SHe started doingit around 11 AM, and it got progressively earlier and earlier until one day it was 9 AM, I went out to see what all the fuss was about and found an egg. The ISA does not make a peep when she is done laying.
    Today, my little EE was going nuts- loudest she has ever been and for the longest duration. Also the earliest (sorry neighbors- I asked you to make the dogs quiet down at night soooo many times, and so nicely [​IMG]) so I go out and it appears my Austrolorp was joining in (not seen before). Was not long before the Austrolorp crawled into the nest and it appears that we will get our first egg from her today.
    In our little slice of non-stop Chicken excitement, it appears that the EE is the town crier and will do the announcing for all the rest of them.

4. hokankai

hokankai Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2010
    SW WA
    Kind of reminds me of when my first started laying, my EE started watching her and trying to figure out what she was doing. After watching her a couple of times she started laying herself!

Here's a vid I got of it [​IMG]

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They're cheering one another on: "you go first, no you go first, no I hear that it hurts, you go first--- etc."

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Someone needs to take the plunge and go for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by