Strange Behaviors

cakkleberrylane

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Florida
I have some wierd Silkies. There is a 7 month old rooster that stays by himself all the time. He just stands there staring out at the road on his right foot all day long. (His left foot is fine, he can walk around on it and everything) Sometimes he stands on a concrete block, but always on his one foot and always staring at the road. At night, he goes into the pen, next day, same story.
We also have another one, not sure yet if hen or rooster. This one got hurt when he was about 2 weeks old, attacked by a wild hen and we kept him very close to us while he was recovering. He could sit on a little pile of paper towels at the computer etc. Now, every time I go into the yard with long pants on, he grabs the pants in his beak and tries to pull me away. If I'm wearing shorts, he runs at me and starts pecking at my shoes, feet or anything else he can grab. He just started this a week ago after behaving very nicely for several months.
Any idea what's up with these guys?

I wonder if the roo is watching out for something that has previously come from that direction to attack them?
The other one could be a roo trying to put you in your place... ???

It sounds like the one rooster is trying to attack you to get you to go away, and to make sure he will be the boss. Usually roosters will attack you if they are protecting hens. Do you have any hens?

I have hens, but since we have so many roosters, I only let them cohabitate for a few minutes in the morning, then separate them because the hens get plucked.
The little guy that pecks me always preferred being hand fed. Do you think he's looking for food?

It could be that he wants a treat. I have one hen that pecks the bottom of my pants because she wants to be held. I hold her for a few minutes, she sings and everyone is happy.

bigzio

I agree that the lone roo that's on watch may be watching for preditors that came from that direction, or he may be dreaming of the hen he left behind.... As for the other, I'd say he wants fed or perhaps picked up and petted since he had had special care in the past.

tea.gif
:

Very likely, we have wild roos and hens and that could be setting him off. I guess maybe they all need more attention. My chickens seem to need a lot of attention. One last night was abandoned by her mother and she ended up sitting on my computer desk, then my shoulder, then on my head!
The little guy maybe just wants me to notice him. When he pecks like that, naturally, I pick him up and talk to him.

Last edited:
We may have solved the mystery. This chicken seems to have a thing for my shoes. I have big, yellow plastic shoes that I leave outside the door to wear around the yard. Yesterday, I noticed him frantically pecking at my shoes, then Arthur told me he was wearing them the other day, he had one foot in each shoe!

Quote:
You may have just found your answer to preventing this behaviour.

When he pecks at you, just walk away out of his reach, if he chases you to peck more than stand somewhere he can't reach you.

If you do this a few times you might find that he stops it because he's not getting what he's after. if he does stop then give him a few treats and positively reinforce the behaviour you want
smile.png

If he doesn't stop you can assume that he is wanting to move you along, and so by getting out of his way you are in fact doing what he wants so you're not going to stop his behaviour like that..

In that case, put on some thick thick socks and stand still letting him peck you till he realises that you're not gonna shift, when he stops, give him a few treats and again, positively reinforce the behaviour you want to see and it should improve things that way.

Let me know how it goes if you do try this please, it's an area of behaviour I'm interested in at the moment.

We have a beautiful Jersey Giant pair, have had them a couple of months now. They are not the most social of guys, but they are getting more comfortable with us. They are about a year old. The roo has habit of swinging his head from side to side. Our Columbian Wyndotte roo occasionally does the same, just not as often. So, anybody have a clue? No other weird behavior, eating, drinking, pooping just fine! And, good heavens can he crow!! I thank you in advance for your help!!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom