Strange bird behaviour

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicken Kate, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

I have an easter Egger that was given to me about a month ago. She is close to laying age, but she has a messed up foot. The toes are all crooked. She is not around my other birds because of this issue. The other day i found her laying on her side unable to stand. After about an hour or so, she was good to go and walking all over the place, the best she could. Today, her good leg is still having issues, but today she is puffed up and keeping her eyes closed. She is also shaking. I have a feeling that her good foot is in pain. I have looked, but i dont see an injury. Could she be egg bound? I just dont want to screw this up. Thanks for the help in advanced .

2. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Sr Chicken Wrangler

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Is the knee joint bending much? Does she drag a foot? It sounds like Marak's to me.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post any pictures of what you are seeing? She might just have a leg or toe deformity, but hard to tell. Is she using her foot normally?

4. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    A chicken normally does not present any pain. They are a prey bird and as such they try to not show pain as it would be a sure way to get picked off.

Take a gander at this video.

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  5. Chicken Kate

Chicken Kate Chirping

No she was born with one bad foot. The other is her crutch. No knee joint bending nor does she drag the foot. She walks fine, but when she sits to rest that one foot, she falls over some times and cant get back up.

6. duluthralphie

Jul 11, 2014
    interesting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: