Strange boney lump on dogs head, any ideas> Pic provided.

I once purchased a male beagle pup with a slightly raised hairless spot on top of his head. He was appropriately named Scar.
lol.png
This spot started growing and the decision was made to surgically remove it. Oddly enough the interior was filled with growing hair? During natal development that portion of skin somehow developed upside down. After removal he had a true scar across the brow of his head and the name became even more appropriate. He became my first field champion.

Im not an expert by a long shot but I have seen a something very similar when I worked at a pig farm, there were usually a few every 100 or so and it never seem to cause any issues. Any ways I was told that they were bone spurs, its when the bone is repairing its self it goes a little too far and forms a calsified lump, my dog has one on his leg and hes almost 12 now!

it looks (and given the situation during utero) like a thickening of the boney plates...
this can be a side effect of steroids on puppies in utero, essentially as the skull plate forms it thickens as they "knitt" togehter.

personally given its not giving her any issues, its not growing, its not tender and its not bleeding. you said its very hard/boney (a cyct would be "hard" but with some give and a tumor would be more free floating) i wouldnt worry too much.
keep an eye on it, if it changes in an odd way get it biopsied, but ive got a feeling youll either find a thickend boney plate or a thickening of the cartlidge.

shes got a beautiful smile!!!

Hi. I was curious how your dog is doing? Our dog recently got a bump almost exactly like what your dog has, but hers is painful.

Jmg55

Hi. I was curious how your dog is doing? Our dog recently got a bump almost exactly like what your dog has, but hers is painful.

Jmg55

It looks to be an occipital protuberance or sagittal crest. Most dogs have them; just in some breeds they are more prominent, especially as the dog ages.

Last edited:
Looks like it is a deformity of the skull. Shouldn't cause too many problems as long as it is just on the outside and not on the inside of the brain case as well. If she's had it for that long, chances are she's not going to have any issues caused by it. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't change size and if it ever feels soft instead of bony, it would be time to have it checked out more thoroughly.

Hey there. Just wanted you to know my male mastiff had the same thing. It's called hyperostosis of the calvarium. He still has it and is fine! I had them do a biopsy and it wasn't cancer!

Hi, my 4 month old labrador male puppy, Maverick, had a large hard lump appear overnight last week. The doctor said it appears to be a bony mass on top of his skull in the x-ray. It doesn't hurt him when you press on it. In fact, he is full of energy and plays with our 5-year old lab as if he has no lump on his head. The lump is located at the front of his skull. It looks very similar to Ruby's photo (the 4 yr old female bullmastiff.) I'm curious if Ruby's lump appeared overnight or was it slow growth? Maverick underwent blood work and it came back normal. But, the doctor said this doesn't rule out cancer and won't know until they do a biopsy. He is scheduled for a CT and biopsy next week. I would love to find out another possibility hoping to spare him from anesthesia or surgery. Please reply.

Back
Top Bottom