Strange build up on chicken leg [photos]

I've have never seen that before even in photos. I'm interested to see if @Eggcessive has any ideas.
I can't find any direct info either.
My initial thought was acities R/T a cardiac issue because her wattles and comb are pale in color and almost white on the tips. Therefore, I'm incline to lean more towards a cardiac issue. The fluid build up is being deposited into the lame leg.
But, what about "More widely, slight signs of nasal discharge from one side. Seems to head twitching more than normal".
Any insight?
@aart

Last edited:
Always grateful for the replies BYC. Thank you.

First... (and somewhat unexpectedly), on her breed! :)
@Phantom_k9 @coach723 @MGG

So Barred Wyandotte's seem to be recognized by the Poultry Club of Great Britain:
https://www.poultryclub.org/breeds/chickens/soft-feather-heavy/wyandotte/

And feature in the UK Wyandotte club:
http://www.wyandotteclub.moonfruit.com/barred/4575722809

We brought her as one... and she looks like those in the photos. But loving the unanticipated confusion. Apologies.

-o0o-

On her health. Thanks all for the comments, even from those of you who are drawing a blank.

@Vickischics. Thank you.

Acities. Build-up of fluid in the abdomen, right? Interesting. The vet didn't seem to think, whatever it is, was especially fluid like. Interestingly, it is also in the less lame leg (the one probably doing more work). The more lame, weaker leg feels totally normal.

You are certainly right about the comb. Pale, maybe even a bit crusty. Not a picture of health. (we'd put it down to age, and the fact she wasn't laying due to age).

If its a cardiac issue, I assume there is nothing we can do, right?

We will keep going with the NSAID and the occasional epsom salt baths.

Again, thanks all.

The breed may be much more prevalent in the UK, so many of us here might not recognize it. And some of them are really similar looking until you really get into the details. And honestly, the breed likely has zero factor in what is going on health wise.
Thanks for the links, interesting and I learned something! Knew about solids and laced, didn't really about barred wyandottes.

Haha! Ok. If you bought her as a barred Wyandotte, I'd say she is one then.
I didn't realize that you were in a different country. 😅

Always grateful for the replies BYC. Thank you.

First... (and somewhat unexpectedly), on her breed! :)
@Phantom_k9 @coach723 @MGG

So Barred Wyandotte's seem to be recognized by the Poultry Club of Great Britain:
https://www.poultryclub.org/breeds/chickens/soft-feather-heavy/wyandotte/

And feature in the UK Wyandotte club:
http://www.wyandotteclub.moonfruit.com/barred/4575722809

We brought her as one... and she looks like those in the photos. But loving the unanticipated confusion. Apologies.

-o0o-

On her health. Thanks all for the comments, even from those of you who are drawing a blank.

@Vickischics. Thank you.

Acities. Build-up of fluid in the abdomen, right? Interesting. The vet didn't seem to think, whatever it is, was especially fluid like. Interestingly, it is also in the less lame leg (the one probably doing more work). The more lame, weaker leg feels totally normal.

You are certainly right about the comb. Pale, maybe even a bit crusty. Not a picture of health. (we'd put it down to age, and the fact she wasn't laying due to age).

If its a cardiac issue, I assume there is nothing we can do, right?

We will keep going with the NSAID and the occasional epsom salt baths.

Again, thanks all.
Either way, she has a very good chicken Mama taking great care of her. She is very lucky to have you. If it were me, I treat her like the Queen she is and feed her special meals like scrambled eggs, oats and grits and give her fresh fruits that she likes. I'd also continue her Spa treatments and gently message her legs upward toward her heart. Hold her when you have time and tell her sweet stories until her ending days. Oh! Message some Vaseline or coconut oil on her comb and wattles.
Keep and eye on her nasal discharge and her head ticks.
Please keep us updated.

Back
Top Bottom