Strange Bumble foot?

RainyDayChickens

Chirping
Apr 19, 2022
I have a hen that has bumblefoot, and I did some reading and learned how to care for it, a lot of people bring up removing the "kernel" and I understand that part and the process of healing after, but the strange thing is I think I can feel and see the kernel at the top of her foot between her toes? I can still see the Bumble foot scab at the bottom of her foot.
in her case would it be better to open the wound from the top? I think It would be less intrusive and easier for her to heal if I can remove it from the top.
Its dark in my coop right now, but in the morning I'll get some pictures so I can get some experienced Chicken Tenders opinion

Usually the bumblefoot infection is removed from the scab on the footpad. If all of the pus is not removed, then the top may need to be lanced as well. A lot of squeezing is sometimes necessary. I have seen bumblefoot like that, and in this link there is another picture:
Oops! I was just helping someone with a prolapse, so the other link didn’t get copied. I will delete the other link, and correct my post. Here you go:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Update: after looking through some images as well as doing some more research, I think the best action for now is to just do an Epsom salt soak. she doesn't have any swelling, and its not red or irritated plus when I poke and touch her foot she isn't bothered. she also doesn't limp or have any sign of discomfort.

I think for a week or so I will give her regular soaks and see how she looks at the end of the week. I would hate to try and do surgery if its unnecessary, especially because I'm new to dealing with bumble foot :)
thanks for the help!

There are many methods of treating bumblefoot. Many use soaking primarily, or at least in the beginning. I have done the surgery a number of times with success, and got it over with quickly. Later on, I found that not every case of it required invasive treatment, unless the foot was sore or the abscess looked angry. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom