Strange chicken joined the flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by QueenPeppermint, Feb 11, 2013.

1. QueenPeppermint

QueenPeppermint Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2012
    Today I was filling the duck pool and noticed that we suddenly had two white leghorns. The three leghorns were sticking together like glue so she's obviously been here awhile and I've just been mistaking her for our other white leghorn! I have a large flock of about thirty birds and they're all healthy beasts and the new one seems quite healthy as well. I just... what? Should I even bother trying to quarantine her at this point? She's obviously been accepted into the flock and i think she's been here for 5-7 days.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If she's been there that long there would be no sense in quarantining. Hopefully all is well with her.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree with sourland - what damage - if any - is already done. Chances are all okay. Welcome to you new addition!

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    No point in quarantine now, what's done is done. Hopefully she's a good layer!

I did have a strange bird show up one day, turns out the neighbor's mom didn't want her anymore and they just tossed her over the fence with my birds. The hen was obviously ill....listless, huddled on the ground, pale, pale comb and horrible poopy butt. I booted her back over the fence and (nicely) told the neighbors I didn't want their sick bird [​IMG]. She was with my flock probably 8-10 hours but none of my birds ever got sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by