Strange chicken noises

sezjasper

Songster
7 Years
May 6, 2012
Eldersburg, Maryland
My chickens are 26 weeks old, laying like champions, friendly and social, eating well, look and act very healthy. What bothers me is the noises they make. They all sing the egg song and occasionally one will squawk when they have a little argument or if something's wrong (like once the door to the run blew shut, and one of my girls couldn't get back in when she was ready for bed). The rest of the time they make these noises that sound...sad, somehow. One of my girls honks like a goose. My experience with chickens is limited to these chickens, so my expectation may be skewed by the "cluck cluck cluck" of cartoon chickens...lol...but it worries me to hear them sounding so miserable when I can't see that anything is wrong. Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

My chickens are 26 weeks old, laying like champions, friendly and social, eating well, look and act very healthy.  What bothers me is the noises they make.  They all sing the egg song and occasionally one will squawk when they have a little argument or if something's wrong (like once the door to the run blew shut, and one of my girls couldn't get back in when she was ready for bed).  The rest of the time they make these noises that sound...sad, somehow.  One of my girls honks like a goose.  My experience with chickens is limited to these chickens, so my expectation may be skewed by the "cluck cluck cluck" of cartoon chickens...lol...but it worries me to hear them sounding so miserable when I can't see that anything is wrong.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks!
Chickens like to talk. Especially in the morning before they lay. One of my girls goes on and on bawking loudly telling me she is in labour. I tell her it's okay, that she will be fine, but she whines. Some just do.

I'm not sure exactly why you think the sounds they are making sound miserable? Could you take a video or something?

I rarely hear any miserable sounds.. when I do, it is usually because a rooster is chasing a hen and the hen doesn't want to be mated.

I have one that makes a near constant high pitched whining that sounds worried. I have another that ROARS REALLY LOUDLY. Both also cluck... but the noises they make are so distinct, I can usually tell them apart by their voices. I think chickens often have distinctive vocal tones and tics just like people do.

Back
Top Bottom