Strange Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dewdropsinwv, Dec 16, 2013.

1. dewdropsinwv

dewdropsinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Not sure what's going on with my pullets. I let them out in the mornings around 7- 7:30 in the morning. They stay outside almost a day and it doesn't matter what kind of weather. Saturday and part of Sunday it rained and they didn't go in the coop. It was pretty cold so we have heat lamps in the coop.... we turned them on to help them get warm and dry out. But the last few evenings when I got out to lock them up they wont go in the coop. Any ideas why???

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Dew, how hot do you have it in there? Are they concerned you’re trying to cook them without cleaning them first? Would you be uncomfortable in there wearing a heavy down coat?

Are the heat lamps the only thing that has changed? If they are throwing a lot of light in the area, maybe they can’t tell it’s bedtime.

Chickens don’t like change. Maybe they just don’t trust those new heat lamps. You could be scaring them.

How are they acting at bedtime? Are they still out foraging or are they huddling or trying to roost somewhere?

It’s possible something scared them in the coop and they just don’t want to go back in there. I’ve heard of that happening but I’ve never seen it myself. I’ve never had them afraid to go back in.

I’m trying to remember if you and Monty got some new pullets. Are these maybe fairly young ones you are integrating with your older hens? If that is the case, the older ones are probably being such bullies and brutes the young ones are afraid to go in with them. They think it’s safer outside.

If it’s not pullets afraid of older hens, get rid of the heat lamps. They really don’t need them.

3. dewdropsinwv

dewdropsinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    The only thing we have done is put up the heat lamps we used when we first got them. Nothing else has changed. No new chicks, no critters in the coop, they have food and water. Just don't want to go in at night.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Dew, you said the only thing that has changed is the heat lamps. If the only thing that is changed is the heat lamps, the heat lamps are almost certainly the cause. Get rid of the heat lamps.

They may make you feel better, but the chickens don’t need them. Chickens survived and thrived for thousands of years in climates worse than yours before heat lamps were ever invented. All they need is a place with decent ventilation and being able to get out of a direct wind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by