Strange Coop Behaviour

newmarch2014

Songster
5 Years
Mar 27, 2014
I am not sure to be amused or worried. I have 2 Production Reds that are having quite the drama in my coop. They are acting like they are finding the most important egg laying spot of all time. They are discussing it between each other in a very animated discussion. I put new straw in the egg box (which they have always been quick to lay in the egg box with little to no fuss). They have been at it for an hour moving straw under the poop board, squatting down and then rearranging the straw and then moving to another spot and talking about it, back to the egg box, dig dig dig, more discussion, nope back under the poop board and moving straw, squat down and throw straw over their back, nope back up to look again. It is exhausting to watch. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Are they newer layers, they will act like laying is very important and they must get it right, older birds like to just get it done.

I am not sure to be amused or worried. I have 2 Production Reds that are having quite the drama in my coop. They are acting like they are finding the most important egg laying spot of all time. They are discussing it between each other in a very animated discussion. I put new straw in the egg box (which they have always been quick to lay in the egg box with little to no fuss). They have been at it for an hour moving straw under the poop board, squatting down and then rearranging the straw and then moving to another spot and talking about it, back to the egg box, dig dig dig, more discussion, nope back under the poop board and moving straw, squat down and throw straw over their back, nope back up to look again. It is exhausting to watch. Any ideas?
They'll get it sorted, I'm sure.

From what I'm reading, they have been laying for a while? It's possible the new straw has thrown them off a bit. Mine are always changing nesting boxes when I change out the straw - it's almost like a protest! Quite the little Drama Queens......
hmm.png

Yeah they have been laying for well over a year. They are usually all business and never that talkative. It was hilarious. They finally settled on the egg box, together, and then one stayed on the 2 eggs while the other sat on her head, Too bizarre as they are usually done and out in a realtively quick fashion before the egg dries.

That was my first thought honestly except it was both of my least likely to be broody breed on the same day. Just seemed too much coincidence. It may be the juvenile rooster guess. The rooster is a huge, young (though sweet) pain in all our rears.

That was my first thought honestly except it was both of my least likely to be broody breed on the same day. Just seemed too much coincidence. It may be the juvenile rooster guess. The rooster is a huge, young (though sweet) pain in all our rears.
Oh, well....how old is he?
They can cause a lot of stress and erratic behavior.

9 1/2 mos. I really need to get rid of him but he is just too sweet for me to feel ok making him freezer camp material.

Back
Top Bottom