Strange disappearance of 2 roosters

wunderlong88

Chirping
Apr 5, 2022
I had 29 pullets and young roosters, all about 4 to 5 months old, all kinds of breeds. I live on 25 acres in hot Texas with some woods and pasture and large wooded creek, plenty of predators. I've been letting out my birds for about 6 to 8 weeks to free range. They typically hang around our barn and coop and garden area venturing a bit further sometimes. I expect to lose an a bird on occasion and hope to hatch more faster than predators can get them during the day. They are safe at night.

Went to church Wed. evening and came in right at dusk and went into count chickens (some have trouble finding their way in at night and get in a close tree). I have an auto door that had not shut yet. I was short 2 chickens. Turned out it was 2 Crested Cream Legbar Roosters (who were starting to look so lovely and I was planning to keep) were not there. Never showed up and no signs of what happened. We looked over a widespread area to see if they were in a tree further away from the coop than usual.

I don't know if something got them during the day or if they were hiding well from us and got killed that night. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have been close to the coop and we searched well. All of the birds are eager to be in or next to the coop (if they don't find the door). Also, hard to imagine that 2 birds of the same gender and breed were taken in broad daylight on the same afternoon or evening. What are the odds? I was keeping them both planning to butcher one and keep the other for one of my three main roosters. I thought I had security in knowing I had 2 of them, just in case something happened to one of them. LOL I never dreamed both would get killed or disappear on the same day.

Just want to share my what seems like odd situation with you guys.

Last edited:
I had 29 pullets and young roosters, all about 4 to 5 months old, all kinds of breeds. I live on 25 acres in hot Texas with some woods and pasture and large wooded creek, plenty of predators. I've been letting out my birds for about 6 to 8 weeks to free range. They typically hang around our barn and coop and garden area venturing a bit further sometimes. I expect to lose an a bird on occasion and hope to hatch more faster than predators can get them during the day. They are safe at night.

Went to church Wed. evening and came in right at dusk and went into count chickens (some have trouble finding their way in at night and get in a close tree). I have an auto door that had not shut yet. I was short 2 chickens. Turned out it was 2 Crested Cream Legbar Roosters (who were starting to look so lovely and I was planning to keep) were not there. Never showed up and no signs of what happened. We looked over a widespread area to see if they were in a tree further away from the coop than usual.

I don't if something got them during the day or if they were hiding well from us and got killed that night. I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have been close to the coop and we searched well. All of the birds all eager to be in or next to the coop (if they don't find the door). Also, hard to imagine that 2 birds of the same gender and breed were taken in broad daylight on the same afternoon or evening. What are the odds? I was keeping them both planning to butcher one and keep the other for one of my three main roosters. I thought I had security in knowing I had 2 of them, just in case something happened to one of them. LOL I never dreamed both would get killed or disappear on the same day.

Just want to share my what seems like odd situation with you guys.
It does seem a little odd your not wrong

Anyone else nearby have flocks? Worth checking with those neighbors if so as yours may have gone wandering to meet new ladies if it wasn't a predator. I drive past an area where a farm raises RIRs and another house at the other side of a large field does batches of Cornish cross periodically, and have seen several instances of runaway RIR cockerels that went to mingle with the Cornish x flock.

We don't think anyone else has chickens near us. I don't have but a few neighbors and all have many acres and I'm not sure what they might have. I'll check with my closest neighbor is the most likely that the birds could have travelled to. I have nothing but 100's of acres on the other 3 sides of me.

If they were free ranging on many acres perhaps those two just happened to wander off together and got nabbed.

Haven't seen foxes but I'm sure we have them. They should be here. LOL We have coons, coyotes, hawks, bobcats and more.

My guess is something got after one of their favorite hens and they died trying to save her. You could check the other chickens to see if any have injuries. Unfortunately because they free ranged on a lot of acres more than likely you will never find their bodies. Something usually comes along & eats whatever is left .It would likely have been coyotes or a bob cat considering both are missing.Strange as it may sound some missing chickens get lucky & escape by hiding from predators and if this is the case they'll show up.

Back
Top Bottom