Strange duck day

veronicasmom

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
So, I am out doing my barn chores. I had let the ducks out to free range as I do and have done for the last nine years (not the same ducks!). Got a call from my neighbor that my ducks were on the other side of the road ( I live on a busy route). Ran to get them, then realized my Nigerian Dwarf Goats had followed me. So, ducks on the opposite side of the road, goats on the center line, holy crap. Got the goats chased home and penned. Went back for the ducks, can't see them. Really?? Finally found them in the woods, had to stop traffic both ways to get them across. Looked like a maniac waving my arms, all barn grubby, chasing four stupid ducks. Sheesh.
So, 7 hours later I decide to head over to the grocery store and on a lesser traveled road, what do I see. Four stupid ducks on the side of the road. Really, what is this, dumb duck day? So, I put on my 4 way flashers and chase them into their yard.
And not even a full moon:/

Last edited:
No, the second batch were someone else's ducks. I have two runners, one pekin, and an unknown breed. I used to have a Blue Swedish among some others. The second group was two runners (go figure) one that looked very much like my mixed breed and a Blue Swedish.
It was just odd to me. Mine have NEVER EVER gone in or really all that near the road, then to cross it and go a bit of a distance away was really strange.
I travel the other road quite frequently. Never ever saw ducks on that road, or even in someone's yard. That was different too.
Just must have been my day for nutty duck stuff.
Mine are VERY mad that they were in lockdown all day. They do not have much to gripe about though, they have a pretty big fenced in area to roam, they just love being free on our property. And they would still have that privilege, if they had not done something so stupid.
Although, that is not anywhere near as bad as the day my three horses got loose and two of them took off running up the shoulder of the road. That scared the crap out of me. But all in all, I guess we are not doing too badly. Two escapes in ten years........

LOL!! They sure do keep us on our toes don't they?

lol.png

We live at the end of a private, gravel road. Our ducks have tended not to roam too much, like to stay near the duck house, but lately they have been wandering. This morning they discovered that in the early morning the slugs congregate just at the end of the grass and the gravel on the road....all six were wandering up the road scarfing down slugs.

Had them out twice after that today...they ran for the road both times!

It's become their favorite destination. They take off at a run or flight in that direction each time I let them out.
barnie.gif

Not like there are no slugs anywhere else!

I figured since they got a taste of freedom yesterday, that if I let them loose today they will make a beeline for the road again.
They have a very large fenced in area to roam, grass, trees, and puddles. I just have to be strong and not give into their screaming at me to let them out to wander. I am weak sometimes.
hu.gif

It sounds to me like an extremely successful day of training. Your ducks managed to get your full attention, wings flapping, vocal.

I have no doubt, they will head to the highway again just to make sure you will repeat your behavior.
duc.gif

LOL, I am not sure who was more amused. The people that saw me running around like a nut job herding ducks across the road or the ducks themselves! Or the drivers that I had to first stop to get the dopey goats out of the road then the ones I had to stop to get the dopey ducks back across the road. Sheesh. I really hope no one I know was going by................................but then again, anyone that knows me knows that I am wacky when it comes to my pets anyhow!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom