Strange ducks?

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Among the ducks that I have, are 2 ducks that are... drakes but in late teenage phase. Approximately 3 months old.

They are supposed to be drakes. But one of them has a whisper and doesn't sound like a drake. Its like a breathy whisper. It doesn't sound right, but its not acting sick either. I'm not sure what to think of it. No physical disfigurements.

The second one sounds wrong too, not like a hen or a drake, but like a strange squeak.

I'm not sure what to think of this or what could cause it. Any ideas? And/or could it be somewhat related to some kind of gene/gender deformality also?

Thanks.

What kind of ducks are they?

Muscovy's drakes make some weird sounds, which I can't even describe. Kind of like a breathy hissing or something. Mine haven't started making those sounds yet, but my neighbor has Muscovy's & I've heard her drakes make weird sounds. One thing I don't like about having Muscovy's is I don't get to hear the quacking. But that's a good & bad thing.

These are unwatered down genetics of black indian runners. That's why its weird. They are past the stage where their voices change. And 2 ...both siblings also from the same nest, are both something wrong with their voices.

The one that squeaks doesn't even sound like a duck. The other one doesn't sound painful but he clearly has no voice projection, and its like a whisper.

It seems like usually when they quack they are happy. So I don't mind a little quacking. Its nice also for them to run up to see me when I feed them. I like that.

Just yesterday my oldest Muscovy made his 1st Muscovy drake sound. I still can't describe it. lol I wish I knew his exact age or at least closer to when he hatched. I'd guess he's somewhere between 12-15 weeks old based on limited info I have.

I do kinda miss the regular duck quack. I've thought about getting another duck, not a Muscovy but I don't want to upset the apple cart. My males are getting along fairly well right now. Not sure how they'd take to an "outsider".

I didn't know ducks made different tones like that. I'm only familiar with the sound of 1 Crested duck and Muscovy's.

Back
Top Bottom