Strange ducks?

ladyk

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Has anyone ever heard of ducks sharing a nest? I have 2 females that were taking turns sitting on a nest. Now for the last week or so they have both been sitting on it at the same time! Is this normal?

It's not uncommon for ducks, geese, hens, turkeys, and many other fowl to "share" a nest. Upon occassion birds of different species will share a common nest. It can lead to problems with broken eggs or crushed chicks/ducklings.

OMG! I have two Muscovy girls who absolutely will not sit a nest unless they are both ready to be broody! It's the craziest thing. But they're wonderful about sharing the eggs and taking turns to go outside for the daily necessaries.

I've had the same issues...I have two broody ducks right now, a smaller rouen and a pekin. My rouen sat on her eggs for almost 20 days before the Pekin went broody. They then started shifting eggs back and forth in between them. They have switched nests and eggs, shared the nest and so on... now I have 5 ducklings that are going in between the two of them. I never know what I am going to find when I go to them. My biggest issue is that the Pekin is heavier then the Rouen and I lost one duckling already (I think because of the pekin's size). It's been interesting and a learning experience. Hope things go well for you
smile.png
No matter what - the little one's are adorable
smile.png

I have three that go semi broody (runners). They sometimes have one nest each, but usually two end up sharing one nest for about a month. Then they're done for a while.

Back
Top Bottom