Strange Egg with whiteish sac around it? *picture included*

montana girl

Songster
12 Years
Aug 23, 2007
Kalispell, Montana
Hello..I am having some trouble with my hen and was wondering if anyone could help?

Mae is one year old, has always been a healthy and robust Ameraucana. About ten days ago I noticed she was acting slightly odd. Nothing I could pin down, just not her usualy self. She was eating, drinking, scratching...but less vigerously? And her egg production was way down.

I attributed this to turning the winter light off as the spring days were nearing long enough for egg production.

Then about 4 days ago, she passed an egg that took her quite some time to pass. Up and down from the nesting box she'd go. But finally there was her egg, only it was covered in a white milky colored membraine of some sort? The egg itself underneath the membrane was hard and whole. I was hoping that was the end of it.

However, last night she was up and down to the nest box, hadnt laid in 4 days, and finally passed another egg of the same sort, i've added a photo of this one.

DSC08309.jpg

I checked her vent area last night and she seems to be missing the downy feathers that my other two hens have around her vent area?

After she passed the egg, there was what seemed to be eggwhite in the next box, just a small puddle.

I am new to chickens so have no idea what is going on here and am so worried about my sweet Mae.

My girls are fed layer crumbles regularly and these things intermittantly: leaf lettuce, left over plain pasta, oyster shells, egg shells, scratch, cornmeal, oats, and any veggies that might be left over.

Thanks so much for your help!

Darlene

Last edited:
One of my easter egger hens laid an egg like that and there was what appeared to be part of a clear yolk in the nest box. We soaked the egg in some water and the whiteish sac came off. The yolk inside the egg was perfect, the shell of the egg was a bit thin. That was on Saturday, it hasn't yet happend again.

We have the same problem with one of our EE hens. She was laying (very infrequently) what we called "jelly eggs". They had no shell at all. Shortly after she laid the last one, she began leaking alot of fluid from her vent which turned very raw and scabby, possibly because the other chickens were picking at her. This has now been going on for over a month. The leaking has slowed down some, but we do keep her separated from the others so she doesn't leak in the nesting boxes. Her vent looks much better and she is acting fine in every other way, except the leaking (and not laying any eggs at all). Our other EE hen is fine, as are the other hens.

I noticed that your egg looks green; our hen lays green eggs too. The one that lays violet eggs is fine. Maybe it's a green egg thing...

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies.

I would think maybe it was a glitch in the plumbing, but this is the second egg in about a week, and she is just not acting quite herself.

Interesting that your hen had the same problem. Mae has always been such a good layer and now...hardly any eggs.

I have read somewhere that a change in lighting can bring something like this on? Has anyone heard of that?

Darlene

The lighting could have been my problem too, if that is the case. My flock was free range, but we finally got a coop built and penned everyone up. However, being inside the coop meant less light exposure. About a week later the yard was finished so now they're able to range out in the sunlight. I'll be on the watch to see if it happens again.

My Tootsie (in my avatar) laid an egg like that last summer. Only once, has never laid overly well. I searched and searched to find out what the cause was, with no definitive solution. I beleive Tootsie to be a rather mature girl who is most likely past her laying prime. She, too, lays green eggs.

I'll watch this thread to see what others think.

That is really interesting that the three here that have done the same thing have all layed green eggs! Very strange.

I am wondering if mites could cause such a problem? I know that sounds odd, but Mae just looks...down. I am going to dust all three girls today, just to be sure. The other two look fat and fluffy and perky as ever.

If anyone else has had eggs covered in a membrane type sack, please post.

Thanks so much!
Darlene

WEll dunno if it was suggested.. but my little hen (OEGB, old english game bantam) laid a egg awhile back. shes a year as well. and it was just a casing. no shell just casing covering the egg so i pulled it out an fed it to the dogs because she would have busted it. and the next egg she laid was fine. BUT. i told people about it anyway before she laid and they said she isn't getting enough calcium. and to feed her some oyster shells. Maybe this will help..

-DTchickens.

Back
Top Bottom