Strange eggs, a possible early detection for...

zazouse

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 7, 2009
Southeast texas
about 5 days ago went into the barn and to candle some eggs i set on the 24 of last month, saw something rather strange in 2 of them, when i turned them in the light i could see liquid moving above the air cell but the veining was visibly red, i decide to go ahead and break one open and just see what was going on and i found the chick to be alive,I checked the remaining egg today and it is still developing and still has the liquid moving above the air cell when i turn it what i am thinking is these are.will be mal positioned chicks at hatch, so i will be letting you all know what happens at hatch time with this one egg, if this is true we will have a way to detect mal-positioned chicks around day 14 before they hatch at, i will be monitoring this eggs threw out the incubation process and report my findings.

Last edited:
about 5 days ago went into the barn and to candle some eggs i set on the 24 of last month, saw something rather strange in 2 of them, when i turned them in the light i could see liquid moving above the air cell but the veining was visibly red, i decide to go ahead and break one open and just see what was going on and i found the chick to be alive,I checked the remaining egg today and it is still developing and still has the liquid moving above the air cell when i turn it what i am thinking is these are.will be mal positioned chicks at hatch, so i will be letting you all know what happens at hatch time with this one egg, if this is true we will have a way to detect mal-positioned chicks around day 14 before they hatch at, i will be monitoring this eggs threw out the incubation process and report my findings.

Are you sure they are not loose air cells, that one my hen laid that has a loose one looks kinda like what you described, but I haven't incubated it.

I don't think so , they did not move like this before like at day 7 when i first candled them, i would think i would have seen this at that time.all i saw at day seven was a defined air cell and veining like normal

I did note that the eye of the chicks was at the pointy end but i am not sure what day they get positioned as i have never really studied this kind of thing before, i hope to learn from this last egg if nothing else i will know if an egg like this can hatch on it's own or if it is indeed mal-positioned.

Are you sure they are not loose air cells, that one my hen laid that has a loose one looks kinda like what you described, but I haven't incubated it.
Stick it in the incubator and see what you find, i am very interested to see what you find, it will be a good learning experience for us all here, might help be very helpful in the future

Stick it in the incubator and see what you find, i am very interested to see what you find, it will be a good learning experience for us all here, might help be very helpful in the future

I've had quite a few malpositioned chicks and I also candle a lot, like daily. I have never seen anything like you described on anything except an egg with a loose or damaged air cell. I have also incubated a lot of eggs with loose air cells, usually from shipping. While quite a few started to develop, if those air cells weren't improved after a couple days of incubating point down, none ever hatched. I do think broodies can do it though, I've seen developing chicks in eggs that were really messed up looking. My Fred likes to kick eggs out of nests, so now he gets separated from nesting hens. I will be incubating some shipped eggs again as well, so I'll be setting whacky air cells soon enough, this one will make a good eating egg!

Zaz,from how I'm getting this the air sac has fluid all around it? Above the air cell,as you put it? When you or before you put eggs into the bator do you check for loose air sacs? Granted I don't do this anymore just because I don't buy hatching eggs anymore but back in the day,every egg that was shipped I candled first and the ones with loose air sacs I wouldn't turn for 3-4 days but never once had one to hatch. I'm wondering if there is degrees of severity in how much an air sac can break loose? The entire inner membrane must get torn away from the outer one to allow the sac to move 100% freely but in your case it may not have become completely dislodged? And because of this you have them able to develope? I'm wondering since you see veining around the air sac,, if indeed the chick makes it to pipping,if it will kill itself by rupturing blood veins before their time? And since it's dislodged if the chick will pip into the airsac at all?

Zaz,from how I'm getting this the air sac has fluid all around it? Above the air cell,as you put it? When you or before you put eggs into the bator do you check for loose air sacs? Granted I don't do this anymore just because I don't buy hatching eggs anymore but back in the day,every egg that was shipped I candled first and the ones with loose air sacs I wouldn't turn for 3-4 days but never once had one to hatch. I'm wondering if there is degrees of severity in how much an air sac can break loose? The entire inner membrane must get torn away from the outer one to allow the sac to move 100% freely but in your case it may not have become completely dislodged? And because of this you have them able to develope? I'm wondering since you see veining around the air sac,, if indeed the chick makes it to pipping,if it will kill itself by rupturing blood veins before their time? And since it's dislodged if the chick will pip into the airsac at all?

From what I've seen there are absolutely varying degrees of damage. I also never had a completely loose rolling air cell egg develop at all. But I have had some loose(not completely detached) ones that did start to develop then quit, and lastly there are the ones I call jiggly, they move and wiggle, but won't leave the fat end of the egg, these do pretty well and I have hatched several, but these don't have that appearance of liquid above the air cell. I too candle every shipped one before setting, and this year I found my first completely detached air cell from one of my own eggs.

DylansMom,,,I'm guessing here that there us a direct correlation between both membranes inside the egg. If one gets partially ripped awy there is still a chance it maybe able to mend and develope a peachick but if it is torn away too much it's impossible. When veining occurs between them I think it's paramount everything is in order because I don't think it can mend itself?

DylansMom,,,I'm guessing here that there us a direct correlation between both membranes inside the egg. If one gets partially ripped awy there is still a chance it maybe able to mend and develope a peachick but if it is torn away too much it's impossible. When veining occurs between them I think it's paramount everything is in order because I don't think it can mend itself?

I would agree. I had a shipped egg that arrived with a rolling air cell, obviously really messed up, but I set it point down for 2 days and then put it in my bator also point down. I figured it was a lost cause., but the bator was mighty empty so what the heck. The next morning I discovered clear gooey albumen oozing from the egg. No cracks that could be found with a strong candler, andthis ooze did not smell at all, seemed to be coming thru the pores in the egg. I am thinking at this point that perhaps both membranes were so damaged that the egg was literally no longer "watertight" for lack of a better term.
idunno.gif

Yes french there is fluid moving in the air cell just like you see when an eggs has died and decomp cause the fluid to move when you turn the egg, only the chicks are alive and making, I candle and weigh all my eggs before incubating them, these are not shipped eggs but i did get shipped chicken eggs and one of them had a ruptured air sac, i put it under the hen on the 8 just to see if it might start making, i don't hold any high hopes for shipped eggs, i won these.

Time will tell how the egg turns out, it is a good thing to observe might learn something new or nothing at all LOL

Back
Top Bottom