Strange eggs and New arrivals

Wisher1000

Bama Biddy
13 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Tuscaloosa County, Alabama
52775_strange_eggs.jpg

Hello all, I have two questions. First, can anyone tell me about these strange egg-like objects I found in the bottom of my coop? Next, how is the best way to minimize blood-shed when introducing nine week old pullets to eight month old hens?

Shellless eggs. Not uncommon with new layers or layers starting up again after winter layoff. If you have young pullets just starting to lay then their systems are still working on the right way to do it.

Those are shellless eggs. Somewhat normal in newer layers. If it continues you may want to look at there calcium intake.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

The 2 most common tactics for introduction are:

Intro at night when they are calm. Just put the newer ones on the roost, so they all wake up together.

or

Let them get to know one another through a fence/cage/etc

Whatever you do keep a close eye on them, in case things turn bad.

Imp

We try the "divided by a fence" method then intro at night. We also overwhelm them with numbers. 8 one year olds about to meet 75 4 month olds. I'll let ya know how that goes

Thanks everyone! I almost NEVER figured out how to post the pic (as evident by the date on the pic) then, I posted in the wrong place. Darn Newbie! I am doing a much better job with the birds than with the forum, thankfully! The younger pulltets are staying in a cardboard box in the garage at night and in a portable run during the day. The older hens and the banty rooster are over them and don't pay much attention anymore. I am concerned about my male guinnea as he is rough on the older hens already, and I guess the fact that they (babies) are so much smaller is why I worry about them. I'm sure it will be fine..... I have a few more queations but I am going to post in the appropriate category this time. See you there!

Back
Top Bottom