Strange eggshell issue

flashlight

Chirping
Jul 10, 2022
I have an Easter Egger who is eleven months old. She started laying in December, and her eggs have always had some bumpy calcium deposits. I always know her eggs because they're slightly bumpy and misshapen, but nothing drastic or alarming.

A few weeks ago, I noticed an empty egg sac, or the remnants of an egg with no hard shell, under the roosting bar. I started keeping a closer eye on my flock to make sure there were no ongoing issues, but sure enough, I started noticing these sacs more often, maybe once or twice a week, but I could never figure out who it was since everyone seems healthy and normal. But I have finally figured out that it's my EE who lays the bumpy eggs. I've caught her twice in the last two weeks just dropping one of these sacs while she's walking in the yard.

It seems like she's laying two eggs a day at times, one that is perfectly hard but with lumpy calcium deposits, and then a second in the evening that has no shell. It is bizarre. She eats and drinks well and gets quality feed, and none of my other chickens are having any problems at all with their eggs. It's hard to believe that it's a nutritional deficiency, but I guess it's possible.

Has anyone heard of something like this? Why is she laying eggs with extra calcium and then others without ANY shell?! I do worry that this is going to become a more serious problem for her at some point, and I want to help her. Any suggestions are welcome.

I have an Easter Egger who is eleven months old. She started laying in December, and her eggs have always had some bumpy calcium deposits. I always know her eggs because they're slightly bumpy and misshapen, but nothing drastic or alarming.

A few weeks ago, I noticed an empty egg sac, or the remnants of an egg with no hard shell, under the roosting bar. I started keeping a closer eye on my flock to make sure there were no ongoing issues, but sure enough, I started noticing these sacs more often, maybe once or twice a week, but I could never figure out who it was since everyone seems healthy and normal. But I have finally figured out that it's my EE who lays the bumpy eggs. I've caught her twice in the last two weeks just dropping one of these sacs while she's walking in the yard.

It seems like she's laying two eggs a day at times, one that is perfectly hard but with lumpy calcium deposits, and then a second in the evening that has no shell. It is bizarre. She eats and drinks well and gets quality feed, and none of my other chickens are having any problems at all with their eggs. It's hard to believe that it's a nutritional deficiency, but I guess it's possible.

Has anyone heard of something like this? Why is she laying eggs with extra calcium and then others without ANY shell?! I do worry that this is going to become a more serious problem for her at some point, and I want to help her. Any suggestions are welcome.
I'm not an expert in this area but it sounds like she could be getting too much calcium. The leftover calcium that is not needed goes onto the first egg and leaves none for the second egg. She could have a reproductive problem...

What exact feed are you feeding her and do you offer any treats??
My chickens eat Nature's Best Organic Layer Pellets. We do give them a few dried worms every day and occasionally grapes and scratch grain on the weekends. They free-range for a few hours every day. I've been trying to increase their feed and mix it with water since they all love that, just to make sure they're getting plenty of their feed. I leave a waterer with Hydro Hen and one with plain water for them to drink every day. I have eleven other chickens and all their eggs have been perfect so far. It's just this one chicken who's having this strange issue.

My chickens eat Nature's Best Organic Layer Pellets. We do give them a few dried worms every day and occasionally grapes and scratch grain on the weekends. They free-range for a few hours every day. I've been trying to increase their feed and mix it with water since they all love that, just to make sure they're getting plenty of their feed. I leave a waterer with Hydro Hen and one with plain water for them to drink every day. I have eleven other chickens and all their eggs have been perfect so far. It's just this one chicken who's having this strange issue.
Lay off on the treats and only offer them once a week.

A lot of people worry about diet. But while basic food is important, a bug or grape isn't going to make any difference. And really with a true diet deficiency, there would be no eggs from any of your chickens if they were really starving, and they are not.

However, this is genetic, and really there isn't much you can do for them. There is a strong chance that this will work itself out. And the weird eggs will just be gone. Some lay double yolkier, which is also a laying malfunction.

People really have little influence on the laying of eggs if they are meeting most of their needs and the birds are not old. It is largely genetic as to the number, color and size of eggs. Largely genetic if it doesn't work either.

Not all chickens are forever friends. Give them a good life while you can. I would not add calcium. There is enough in your feed, and with it being deposited on the egg, I think you have enough. The other egg is just slipping through before the shell comes on. I would not be surprised if this just goes away on its own, but may start up again after the molt and pause in laying. Glitches tend to start up again when they start laying again, and then work themselves out.

Don't hatch her eggs.

Mrs K

She eats and drinks well and gets quality feed, and none of my other chickens are having any problems at all with their eggs. It's hard to believe that it's a nutritional deficiency, but I guess it's possible.
Exactly why it's the bird and not the diet.

She's just got a glitchy egg maker, it happens.

A lot of people worry about diet. But while basic food is important, a bug or grape isn't going to make any difference. And really with a true diet deficiency, there would be no eggs from any of your chickens if they were really starving, and they are not.

However, this is genetic, and really there isn't much you can do for them. There is a strong chance that this will work itself out. And the weird eggs will just be gone. Some lay double yolkier, which is also a laying malfunction.

People really have little influence on the laying of eggs if they are meeting most of their needs and the birds are not old. It is largely genetic as to the number, color and size of eggs. Largely genetic if it doesn't work either.

Not all chickens are forever friends. Give them a good life while you can. I would not add calcium. There is enough in your feed, and with it being deposited on the egg, I think you have enough. The other egg is just slipping through before the shell comes on. I would not be surprised if this just goes away on its own, but may start up again after the molt and pause in laying. Glitches tend to start up again when they start laying again, and then work themselves out.

Don't hatch her eggs.

Mrs K

Exactly why it's the bird and not the diet.

She's just got a glitchy egg maker, it happens.
I appreciate the feedback. It makes me feel a little better. I'm hoping since she's young that her egg factory will still get in gear.

I have two olive Eggers the same age who lay eggs with excess calcium consistently, and have laid soft shelled eggs and shell less eggs. They are all over the place. Everyone has access to the same diet, oyster shell, and occasional scratch.

Weird things and chickens go hand in hand 🤣

Back
Top Bottom