Strange feather growth advice needed

nikkers390

Crowing
17 Years
May 7, 2007
Ft. Myers FL (in the Boonies)
About a month ago, I purchased some feed from a breeder who buys in bulk from the mill. Chicks tarter.medicated for 1/2 of feed store prices. I really don't know the nutritional analysis.
What I have noticed in the past week or more, is that some of the chicks are developing a frizzled feather look even though none are frizzled. There are several breeds in this brooder (Brahma, Cochin, Orpington, NN, Icelandic) so it is not just a certain breed.

I will ask the breeder for an analysis. I asked him before and he said he didn't know. I honestly don't want to offend him since he is only trying to help me.

I had, at one, time some ducks with angel wing. I read that was caused by too much protein during the initial feather growth period causing the wing feathers to grow too fast.
Can this be a similar situation? Someone must know or at least have some idea.

The chicks in this brooder are between 3 and 4 weeks and seemingly healthy and eating well.
idunno.gif
D.gif

I don't know, but I think I'd be reluctant to buy mystery feed like that. I would change to a recognized commercial feed, and see if the frizzle look disappears.

X2

Apparently the mill that is making the bulk feed is using their own formula. They probably don't do an analysis which is why it isn't printed on the guaranteed analysis tag that doesn't exist.

There are many feather anomalies that are a result of vitamin, mineral and amino acid deficiencies.
Frizzled feathers can be caused by deficiencies of zinc, niacin, pantothenic acid, folic acid and lysine.
Other feathering issues come from amino acid imbalance, Vitamin D, K, B6, B12, folic acid and manganese deficiencies.
Deficiencies of arginine, valine, leucine, isoleucine, tryptophan, phenylalanine, and tyrosine.

As suggested, you aren't saving money with inferior feed.

If I was a betting man, I would bet the problem is amino acid deficiency. They are probably using a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement in the feed but if they aren't making the feed with an animal protein as a supplement, then they simply must add lysine, methionine and possibly arginine and tryptophan in synthetic form.
You can add some canned fish to their diet like mackerel to bump up their intake of complete amino acids till you get them some real feed. Just switching to a new feed won't make up for what they've been missing. They need a boost now.

Last edited:
I am a breeder, and I not only feed nutritionally complete and analyzed feed, I boost nutrition in any way I can.

Nutritional deficiencies can screw up a breeding program and hatchability in short order.

Last edited:
Good food pays off!!! I buy a good commercial feed that's fresh at my local feed stores (Purina Flock Raiser, 20% protein) and don't try to 'economize' on bargain basement products, ever. No analysis on the bag? How about mill date? Scary. Mary

Back
Top Bottom