Strange Goings On

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TheChookChick78, Mar 9, 2017.

1. [​IMG]

Hi all..
    I have a group of birds I got in September 16, which consists of 3 guinea fowl (lost 3 others), a turkey gobbler (I think) and a Wyandotte hen and rooster. They're just over 6 months old (were brought as day olds) and we recently found one of the guinea fowl on a nest of eggs. We think they're about 1 and half weeks old and the Mum got off the nest on about day 9 and the turkey has taken over sitting on the eggs. Is that normal or are my chookpen mates losing the plot???

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy neighbour [​IMG] Welcome!

I agree with CTKen in that the Turkey and Guinea Forums are your best best.

I have to say though, that does sound bizarre and if they keep swapping, those chicks are going to be very confused when they hatch [​IMG]

Please do pop in and say Hello on the Aussie Thread if you get a chance, you will be welcome.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

4. Thanks..will go and join the Aussie thread now. cheers

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, ChookChick, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us! I guess when broodiness happens a hen of whatever species will sit on a nest of eggs no matter what species layed them. My mom tells a story of her childhood of a hen chicken setting on a clutch of duck eggs that hatched. The mama chick thought all was well until she took them out to peck around and the ducklings just walked right into the creek and started paddling about. My mom said the hen almost lost her mind as she thought her babies were going to drown!! [​IMG]
    In your case I can't understand why a gobbler would sit on eggs but I guess I would not be surprised if the guinea eggs hatch and all is well with the turkey and the keets. They are more alike mannerism in my opinion than are chickens and ducks. Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!

6. Cheers everyone for your input. Always good to bounce wuestions off like minded souls...

7. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Thanks for joining us!

8. micah wotring

micah wotring Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2015
    WV boy here!
    Welcome to BYC! This is THE place to be for anything and everything poultry related...
    Haha, that's cool! I've never heard of them doing that before!
    Whether you're looking for help, info, insight, poultry breeders, ideas, or just friends, you've come to the right place!

Anyway, great to have ya here!

Make it a great day!

[​IMG]
    ~MW

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    That is strange. If you only have one turkey (the broody) her eggs would be infertile, unless something else bred her.????? Could get a chance to candle the eggs to see if they are fertile? If not maybe you could put a fertile egg (from any bird ) under her so she will be successful at hatching something.

10. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard chickens! I am so glad that you joined us, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by