1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Strange Growth - Can anyone tell me what this is please?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheMotherHen, Oct 15, 2010.

1. TheMotherHen

TheMotherHen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2009
    I have no idea what it is! A wart? It is definitely skin, not a bug - I went back out to check again and take this photo.
    She is molting right now and I dusted her for lice yesterday because I found one under her wing.
    When looking her over today I discovered this strange little bump on her lower back above her tail base. She has always been very healthy
    and a great layer and doesn't act any differently. Should I be worried? Thankyou for helping!
    [​IMG]

BTW - thanks to everyone hear for the great tips on treating lice! I am a fairly new chicken owner and I learn so many things here.

2. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    That's the oil gland. It is supposed to be there! [​IMG] They rub their beaks over that area then preen their feathers.

3. TheMotherHen

Oct 10, 2009
    Thank GOD!!!!!!! Oh, you made me so happy! I worry sick over these darn chickens! I was thinking how can I sleep tonight worrying about this mystery bump!??? Cancer? A tick? Some horrible chicken disease I haven't heard of yet?!! Well, Thanks so much for your speedy response! Have a wonderful weekend. [​IMG]

4. JenEric Farms

JenEric Farms GOOGLE GENIUS

Oct 31, 2007
    Maine
    I know what you mean about worrying! If you look, you'll notice all of your other chickens have this as well.

5. TheMotherHen

Oct 10, 2009
    I tried one of my other girls but I guess in my panic I didn't find the right spot - plus she wasn't being as cooperative.

6. austradork

austradork Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Seattle
    I posted asking about the same thing like 6 months ago! I thought my australorp had cancer or a tick or something! Glad I'm not the only one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by