Strange head twitching, clicking sound.

duckymaster

Hatching
Jan 23, 2016
Cortes Island
Hi! Just a question about a behaviour I've noticed in my female duckies. Not sure if it's anything to be concerned about, I'm mostly just curious.

I've got a mixed flock (pekin, saxony, campbell and welsh harlequin) and I've noticed that the girls frequently make a clicking type sound and twitch their head to one side, on a downward angle. At first it was just the khakis, but now most of them have started doing it. I thought they were just looking for food but somehow that doesn't seem right anymore. Any ideas?

Hi duckymaster, I don't have the answer to your question but I'm hoping somebody else does. Just wanted to say that two of my ducks do the same thing as you're describing. One of them is an Indian Runner and one is a Rouen. I swear that the Rouen learned it from the Runner cause she's a copycat. Anyway, it doesn't last very long, just a couple seconds, but they do the head twitch like you describe. Hope someone has the answer!

It can be a "welcome back, where have you been?" or "I think you are a rock star," or "what do you think you are doing???"

There are some variations that I still have not been able to figure out, but this is a way to communicate generally positive things in the flock, from what I have seen with my Runners.

Do they roll their whole body in wave- like motion after the head tilt/drop? One of my girls does that at the sexy Cayuga reflection(s) in the patio door but she never does it to any of her actual flock mates. I think she's flirting with herself.

Back
Top Bottom