Strange laying for a silkie

austincoopersilkiesies

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Downingtown Pa
i have a pq silkie girl and she started laying about a month ago at 3 and a half months old or so and even though it is winter and cold out i get 1 egg everyday from what i have read they lay a egg every other day 1 day i got two and the next two days was 1 egg per day then i got three in the same day is this strange?

Quote:
That is strange, are you sure the eggs are all hers?? My girls starting laying early here too, but they were 23 weeks old. Three and 1/2 months seems really early to me! I do have one hen here of another breed that does lay two eggs in one day once in a while, but I've never heard of three in one day. Wow, she must be pooped!
lol.png

yep all hers we put a camera in the next box we find her eggs and it was there this week and we got her going into an empty nestbox and leaving it with 3 eggs on tuesday and 2 on thursday 1 every other day no other girls go in the girls all have there own nestbox so the delux is the 1 this girls likes

It takes a chicken just under or over 24 hours (never can remember which) to produce an egg. Because of that sometimes we will have two eggs laid on the same day. It is impossible for a hen to lay three eggs in a day. You either missed collecting one or another hen did lay an egg in that box.

My Silkies lay every day when they don't have chicks or are not molting. This every other day thing might be true for birds a few years old but it is not true for younger birds.

Back
Top Bottom