Strange Lesions Appearing On Cornish X's Face?

kai1006

In the Brooder
May 28, 2020
Hey all! Today I noticed some lesions for the first time on a few of my 2-year-old Cornish X boys' faces. I also think these same lesions have appeared and disappeared in my pair of 6-month-old Broad Breasted White Turkeys. My brother and I did a little research and found that the symptoms of Fowl Pox somewhat match up to these issues. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of what this could be and what I could do to help?
20200928_104441.jpg
20200928_104447.jpg
20200928_104543.jpg

As a side note, these birds live on a sanctuary and quality of life is the focus, these birds won't be used for meat.

Hey all! Today I noticed some lesions for the first time on a few of my 2-year-old Cornish X boys' faces. I also think these same lesions have appeared and disappeared in my pair of 6-month-old Broad Breasted White Turkeys. My brother and I did a little research and found that the symptoms of Fowl Pox somewhat match up to these issues. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea of what this could be and what I could do to help?
View attachment 2351733View attachment 2351734View attachment 2351735
As a side note, these birds live on a sanctuary and quality of life is the focus, these birds won't be used for meat.
First photo, the lesion on the wattle, not sure about that. It may be Fowl Pox, it's a bit odd, he also has one on his beak. Around the eyes looks to be Fowl Pox.
Fowl Pox is a virus so it will have to resolve on it's own.
The less handling of lesions the better since disrupting them can cause them to spread.
If you feel you must do something/apply something to the lesions, use Iodine, this can help dry them up.

The 3rd photo may be Fowl Pox, but some looks like scabs/injury and dried blood.

Consider sanitizing the water as mentioned in the article linked below.
If you are operating as a Sanctuary, then also consider forming a relationship with a vet. If you are taking in birds from all different sources, eventually you will likely need a vet for medications.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/

First photo, the lesion on the wattle, not sure about that. It may be Fowl Pox, it's a bit odd, he also has one on his beak. Around the eyes looks to be Fowl Pox.
Fowl Pox is a virus so it will have to resolve on it's own.
The less handling of lesions the better since disrupting them can cause them to spread.
If you feel you must do something/apply something to the lesions, use Iodine, this can help dry them up.

The 3rd photo may be Fowl Pox, but some looks like scabs/injury and dried blood.

Consider sanitizing the water as mentioned in the article linked below.
If you are operating as a Sanctuary, then also consider forming a relationship with a vet. If you are taking in birds from all different sources, eventually you will likely need a vet for medications.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/fowl-pox-prevention-treatmen/
Thank you for all of the advice, this article is really helpful! We ordered an antibiotic for or chickens that aren't infected (to our knowledge) and will work on helping the infected ones. And thankfully, it seems like so far they have the "dry" varient, so that's slightly relieving.

Back
Top Bottom