Strange Looking Eggs

Just make sure the shells are strong and not too porous. They should be smooth in-between the spots.

If it's young layers you will get the odd soft shell or even completely shell-less egg while they are working out the kinks in their systems. And occasionally you may get one from an older hen too. If you are feeding them mostly layer feed they will get all the calcium they need from that. If you are still concerned you can offer them some crushed egg shell or oystershell in a bowl separate from their feed and let them help themselves as and when they feel they need it.

I'd suggest you switch them all to grower or an all flock feed and offer the layers oystershell or crushed eggshell in a separate bowl as I suggested above. The grower/starter won't harm the older pullets, but the youngsters should not be eating layer before they are near POL as the high calcium content harms their internal organs if they eat too much of it.

So I got an egg today with no hard shell. Is this due to no oyster shell in their diet?
I get these maybe once a month or so, it has only happened 3 or 4 times ever out of my 13 hens and my chickens started laying in October (about 7 months altogether now). The inside of the egg appears normal and since it happens rarely I'm not too concerned.

Also, every one of my gigantic eggs have been double yolkers. When I sell my eggs I balance out the giant ones with one of my tiny Bantam eggs, I tell people it's the equivalent of two eggs.

...Although since they are getting TWO yolks I guess they're really getting a FREE egg! Huh, I just realized this, lol!
wink.png

So no worries on the giant eggs or the soft ones. Unless you are getting a lot of soft eggs I wouldn't be too concerned, it happens from time to time.

Back
Top Bottom