strange looking poop

Lunafarmchickens

Songster
Sep 12, 2017
Just got some chicks yesterday, and ive had chicks before. But I don't remember their poop looking like these ones do... Its like, foamy, and bubbly. They are acting fine but I just eanted to make sure they were ok... Thanks for reading!

Lunafarmchickens

Songster
Sep 12, 2017

Attachments

• 20180310_072700.jpg
    20180310_072700.jpg
    367.3 KB · Views: 17

Chickylet

Chirping
Feb 19, 2018
MA
I have some 1-1/2 week old chicks and a couple of the Buff Orpingtons poop looks like that! Everyone is eating & drinking fine. But everyone else's poops seems to be forming up nicely but I still have a few w/ these foamy looking things. Should I be concerned or is it ok?

dunnmom

Crowing
Mar 30, 2016
Oklahoma
Looks like run of the mill stress poo to me. Since you just got the chicks yesterday, I would suspect that to be the case. Once they settle in, you should see a lot less of those runny ones.

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
Southern N.C. Mountains

That looks like Cecal poop. Chickens have 2 types of poop - Cecal and "normal". Normal poop is firmish/formed poop with a white cap (urates). Cecal poop is a loose poop that is stinky, pudding like and sticky-it also varies greatly in color. A chicken poops a Cecal poop about 1 out of every 8-10 normal poops.

Looking at chicken poop is very good! Poop can sometimes tell you a lot, so keep that up. Behavior is also an indicator of something going wrong - if your chicks are all active, eating, drinking - then usually all is well. If you notice any lethargy accompanied with huddling/fluffing up, distress peeping or not eating/drinking, then there is cause for concern:)

Lunafarmchickens

Songster
Sep 12, 2017
That looks like Cecal poop. Chickens have 2 types of poop - Cecal and "normal". Normal poop is firmish/formed poop with a white cap (urates). Cecal poop is a loose poop that is stinky, pudding like and sticky-it also varies greatly in color. A chicken poops a Cecal poop about 1 out of every 8-10 normal poops.

Looking at chicken poop is very good! Poop can sometimes tell you a lot, so keep that up. Behavior is also an indicator of something going wrong - if your chicks are all active, eating, drinking - then usually all is well. If you notice any lethargy accompanied with huddling/fluffing up, distress peeping or not eating/drinking, then there is cause for concern:)
Ok good.

Top Bottom